Maya smiled, playfully rolling her eyes before she rested her head back in the crook of his neck.

"Good, I'm really proud of you my sweet baby boy. I knew you could turn your life around and get back on track to become the man I always dreamed of you being."

Maya smiled against Josh's neck at his mother's words.

"Keep it up because I want you to come home and the sooner the better."

Maya's smile faded as her heart dropped.

Josh kissed the side of Maya's head, knowing his mom's words hurt her. "Mom, I'm going to get off of here. I have tons of homework to do."

"Okay, I'll talk to you soon. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye Mom."

Josh hung his phone, sighing as he reached over and placed it back on his desk.

"Why didn't you tell me about your birthday?" Maya asked, shocked with everything the two have shared with each other birthdays wasn't something they've never talked about.

"My birthday is not a big deal," he shrugged.

"Josh-"

"It's not. I've never been someone who is about their birthdays. My birthday was always for my mom. I'm her miracle surprise baby. I was a spoiled child so birthdays were nothing special because I always got what I wanted anyway whether it was a Tuesday or my birthday. It didn't matter. My birthday was always about spending the day doing whatever my mom wanted to do. Now, that I'm older there is always a party to go if I want so what's the difference if it's my birthday weekend or just a random party?"

"Yeah but what if I wanted to make it special for you?"

"You can if your heart desires with birthday se-"

"Josh!" Maya whacked his chest, blushing. "Don't you dare finish that sentence," she threatened causing Josh to laugh.

"Maya, seriously," he began, his tone changing and catching her attention. "I don't need anything, especially from you. I have you and that's all I need," he told her, caressing her cheek, gazing lovingly into her eyes. "I don't know where I would be in life without you and I'm thankful you are in my life. You make me want to better in life. I wouldn't be on the tracks I'm on without you."

Maya gave him a small smile. "I think you are giving me too much credit-"

Josh shook his head. "I'm not."

"Yes, you are. Josh, the real you never left. We've been through this-"

"But you make me want to bring out the best in me."

Maya shook her head and went to speak but Josh gently cupped her face between his hands, stopping her.

"It's the truth," he told her, staring into her eyes. "If it wasn't for you I would have never started to get my life back on track. You are the reason I started back on the right track. I didn't want to disappoint you and I wanted to be someone who deserves your love, to hold your hand, to kiss you, to be the one you fall in love with. I wasn't that guy when I walked into your front door. You made me change. I wouldn't have turned my homework in if you didn't call me out on it and thanks to you, I played baseball, well I guess you could call it baseball for the first time in a long time and actually enjoyed it. You are the best gift I could ever get."

Maya smiled, her cheeks turning even pinker before leading in for a long deep kiss. "I love you," she murmured against his lips.

"I love you too," he said back, tucking a piece of her hair that wasn't in her bun behind her ear.