She's Out Of My Life

"Damned indecision and cursed pride
Kept my love for her locked deep inside
And it cuts like a knife
She's out of my life"

"Damned indecision and cursed prideKept my love for her locked deep insideAnd it cuts like a knifeShe's out of my life"

Pain. Sadness. Misery.

That's all Michael feels right now. Ever since Melanie left him a month ago, he hasn't been the same. He's lost his passion to sing, write, or perform. He's just been wallowing in his sadness.

All Michael could think about was the day that she left him. When he went to sleep at night, he just dreamt about that day over and over again. It kept replying in his mind: the yelling, the begging, the tears, and her finally walking out of that door and out of his life forever. It truly was the worst day in his life.

***

"Baby please! We can work this out!" Michael begged as he followed Melanie throughout their bedroom. He can't let her leave— he just can't. They been through too much for it to just end like this. "We can fix this!"

Melanie ignores him as she packs her things. She's sick of being lied to, disrespected, and not being first in his life. She stuck around too long and can no longer tolerate it. It's time for her to go.

"Melanie, please ta—" he started only for him to be interrupted by her.

"Talk to you about what, Michael? It's a little too late for that!" she snapped as she continued packing her suitcase.

"No it's not too late! We've been through a lot, and we still managed to work it out. Please just let me explain!" Michael begged. Melanie just scoffed as she finished packing her suitcase and walked to the living room. "Listen to me, Melanie!" he yelled as he followed her.

"No," she said and turned around to face him, "I'm tired of you trying to come up with excuse after excuse, Michael. That's all you do. It's not gonna work this time!"

"Just give me a chance to explain! I didn't mean to kiss her, I swear! It was a mistake! You have to believe me." he tried pleading with her.

Melanie couldn't believe her ears. "A mistake, Michael? Really— you expect me to believe that bullshit? This isn't the first time you did this. Do you think I'm dumb? How do you mistakenly kiss someone again? Tell me how you do that because I wanna know!"

"I don't know, it just happened. I was just at Studio 54 dancing, and she came up to me. We were dancing together and it just happened. I pulled away as soon I realized it. It was a mistake, an honest mistake. I know I messed up the last time, but this time was different. Please believe me." he said.

"Really, Michael? So you're telling me you made the same mistake twice? You must really think I'm stupid! I'm so sick of this!

"Baby—" he tried to beg again, but Melanie wasn't having it.

"Don't "baby" me Michael! Like I said it's not gonna work this time! I'm tired, I'm so tired. I tolerated being disrespected by you for too long. I'm not gonna take it anymore!" she exclaimed.

Michael gripped her shoulders. He was desperate at this point. "Please, I'm sorry. Let's work through this. We can get through it, Melanie!"

"We can't... we just can't Mike. It's not even just about the kiss. I feel like I'm the only one who ever cared about this relationship. For four years, I pretty much sacrificed my normal life to be with you. I listened to you, loved you, and tried my best to understand you. Even when you flirted with other women, I stayed. Even when you would only introduce me as a friend to keep us a secret, I stayed. Even when you would cancel our dates, I stayed. Even when you wouldn't come home after our arguments, I stayed. Even when you wouldn't let me come on tour with you, I stayed. I put up with so much from you, and I just can't take it anymore. I feel like I lost myself dealing with you. I give up." she said with tears running down her face.

Michael started to cry. He didn't realize how bad he treated her until now. "Melanie, I'm so sorry. I'm truly am. Please forgive me. Let me make it up to you."

"Sorry ain't gonna cut it this time. I love you and I always will, but I just can't anymore. We're through, Michael." With that, she loosened from his grip. She then walked out the door, taking his heart with her.

***

Michael cries every time he thinks about that night. He quickly learned that she meant it when she said she was done with him. He tried calling her, but received no answer. He tried writing her, but received nothing back.

He had no one to blame but himself. He didn't understand why he let Melanie slip through his fingers. She was a woman any man would dream of having. She was beautiful, intelligent, and a sweet soul. They shared the love of music and children. She was his sense of normalcy that he always craved. He was so stupid to let her get away.

Every day he beats himself up for how he treated her. He didn't cherish her like he was supposed to. He took her love and patience for granted. He let her feel insecure while she was with him. He let other women come in between them. He didn't take the time to understand her side of things. Simply put, he didn't love her like he was supposed to and when he finally realized it, it was too late.

He has accepted the fact that he's the reason she's out of his life forever.

~The End~