Chapter Twenty - One

Start from the beginning

The next week went by quickly and quietly, Tommy hadn't sent her around London asking her to do things, so she had spent the time with Karl and Ada but her peaceful week was interrupted by a knock on the door.

Josephine cautiously opened the door, opening it only slightly whilst mostly hiding behind the door with Ada's gun clutched tightly in her grip. They didn't get visitors so she was surprised when she saw Tommy stood outside, she would have expected of him to make his own way in like he usually does.

"Tommy?" Josephine opened the door fully and motioned him inside before placing the gun on the hallway table.

"Hullo Josephine, how've you been?"

Josephine squinted at Tommy's question and tone, "Why are you here? What do you want me to do?"

Tommy couldn't help the huff of laughter that escaped him at her response, she really hadn't changed and could still read him like a book.

"The Digbeth Kid, he uhh, was murdered in prison by some of Sabini's men the other night."

"How awful..." Josephine muttered, sure she found him funny and a bit ridiculous but he didn't deserve to die, "But you wouldn't of come all the way down here just to tell me that he's died, so what's the actual reason Tommy."

Tommy smirked, "There's a horse auction tomorrow, I want you to come with me and the boys."

"Auction for a horse?" Josephine asked "Yeah okay."

Tommy nodded, "Good, I'll pick you up in the morning."

"Goodbye Tom" Josephine walked him out and stood and watched from the doorway as he made his way to his car, only going inside when he had driven off.

Tommy had picked her up early in the morning and they had sat in silence for part of the journey before Tommy spoke up,

"Arthur, John, Michael, Curly and Uncle Charlie will meet us there. It's just a simple auction so I don't expect any trouble."

"Trouble is your best friend Tommy" Josephine laughed, amused at the idea of Tommy without any trouble or drama following him. "Polly allowed Michael to join you?"

"He had a very convincing speech but I don't think he was going to allow her to keep him away anyway." Tommy muttered, his eyes still on the road.

Josephine eyed him for a moment before speaking again, "What do you think of him?"

Josephine watched as Tommy heaved a sigh and briefly take his eyes off the road to spare her a look as he thought of his answer to his question.

"He's a smart kid. His adoptive parents brought him up well, a good education, well mannered but..." Tommy trailed off

"But you don't think he fully fits in with the family" Josephine completed Tommy's unfinished sentence.

"Polly hates the idea of him getting involved with that side of the business."

"Don't blame her." Josephine muttered as they pulled up outside the auction house, the truck holding the other men already there.

Josephine stepped out and almost immediately she was pulled into a hug by Arthur with John quickly joining in.

"Hello luv" Arthur kissed her on the forehead, his mustache scratching her skin.

"Arthur, John, lovely to see you" Josephine pressed a kiss to each brother cheek before turning back to face Tommy.