XVI

"Doctor Park," I was caught off guard when he entered the research lab with a lunch bag.

Smiling, his eyes fell into crescents behind his circular glasses. He made his way beside Hobi who sat at his desk, eating the cafeteria pizza. I was still at the workbench, wondering what I had done in the past to get this working.

"May," he smiled at me, beckoning me over with a soft head tilt, making his fluffy hair fall to the side which I fought the nerve not to fix when I was at his side. "Aren't you going to eat?"

I shook my head with a humorless scoff of a laugh. "Don't have much time for that and my break was a few hours ago."

"Oh," he raised his brows, questioning this information. "Leaving work early again?"

I smiled a little, overcome by a warm feeling in my stomach at the realization that he was noticing these details that I hadn't shared with him during the times we walked the halls together or shared a laugh at the coffee cart during a break we both shared.

"I am," I nodded with a small smile. "I have plans with my friends."

"Kylie didn't mention anything."

"Oh," I shook my head softly, studying how he reacted to my words. "Other friends."

I wonder what he thinks when his eyes linger on me for a bit too long and he bites down on his lip as if holding back a comment. Perhaps it was a fragment of my imagination, but the glint in his eyes was hinting at a suppressed emotion.

"Off to cause trouble on Friday the Thirteenth, huh?"

"No," I laugh, but on the inside I'm thinking it's possible considering Jungkook's friends aren't exactly law-abiding citizens all the time. "Nothing like--"

A gasp escapes my lips, and my eyes become round as realization hits me. Peering at me with hint of expectancy, his chewing slows and he pushes his glasses up higher on his nose.

"Oh my gosh," My eyes soften, guilt gnawing at my heart as I notice how much I've strayed away from my original plans. "Jimin, happy birthday."

The smile that paints his lips shines so brightly that it almost distracts me from the blush that colors the apples of his cheek. Almost.

He looks down at his lap, taking his napkin and wiping his fingers from the crumbs.

"Thank you, May," Jimin stands from the stool, arms spread wide as he pulls me into a hug.

In his arms, I am weak. My body is carried on a cloud, soaking in his delicate, sweet scent. And his warmth, his warmth was bliss like cuddling under a feather blanket. I miss this.

My bliss was short lived, Jimin having pulled away and leaving me in a slight daze until he spoke.

"I'm hosting a small party at my house. It would be nice to see you there," I recognized the shy smile on his lips, feeling a little flutter on my heart. "Maybe you can come by for a bit?"

"Yes!" I suddenly forgot about my plans with Jungkook as I was overcome with joy at the invitation.

I guess I'll just meet him later than planned.

*

Sue me.

"Wow, May," Jimin breathed, brows high up his forehead, not even bothering to hide the way his eyes drank me up.