XII

A warm smile among strangers is often a courtesy rather than a true heartfelt action. Still, that warm courteous smile can lift someone's mood and encourage them to make the day count. And although the warm smile Jimin gave me in the halls during my rounds with Namjoon was a simple, courteous one, it motivated me to make the day count.

So, when I sat down across from Jimin in the cafeteria, I was determined to make the day count to make some progress, starting with him. Though Hobi and I were working long hours to finish his device, the process was still gruelingly slow.

Though the only knowledge I had about time travel was from the 1980's Back to the Future films, I knew that things would not be the same when I returned. I had already made up in my mind that if I wasn't able to go back, then I would make things go back to the way they were— or at least try. The only real difference between then and now is Jimin and me.

Taehyung had already left to Daegu, just like before, and we still talk every night. Kylie and Ahn were following their routine like normal with a few minor tweaks but mainly because of me.

I just wanted Jimin back, and that's what I was aiming for when I sat in front of him.

He slowed his chewing, looking up at me with doe eyes. "Hi." He mumbled with a full mouth.

"Hi, sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." I smile, handing him a napkin so he can wipe the tomato sauce at the corner of his lip. It took a bit of strength to refrain from wiping it myself.

The shy smile blinding his vision made it even harder for me to resist him. I missed his shy reactions to my thumb brushing over his lips when wiping away food, and the pink hue on his cheeks when I mumbled 'cute' afterward.

I just missed him. Us.

"No, it's fine." He said, fisting the napkin in his hand when he wiped his lips. "Is this about a patient?"

I shook my head softly, my mood deflating slowly because he assumed my company was work related. "No, I just thought maybe I could give you some company."

"Right," he smiled. "Of course."

I unpacked my bag, pulling out my packed lunch. At times like these, I was reminded of a baby-faced Taehyung with squishy cheeks and curious eyes. The boy's mother would never fail to pack him a delicious, nutritious lunch. Many of the children he sat with would often beg him for a snack to trade with their's, but he never did. He was proud of his mother's meal, saying she made it with love just for him.

I remember watching them from a far, frowning at my lousy cafeteria lunch because my dad didn't have time to pack my lunch in the morning while already making me breakfast. But I was never angry at him, instead, I put on a smile and replied with 'papa, I'm not a kid anymore. I don't want to carry around a lunch box' whenever he would ask if I wanted him to prepare me lunch.

I'll never forget the day I fell when I was hit in the face with a soccer ball. Taehyung was the captain of the team playing against mine, and although he hadn't kicked it, he was the one apologizing. The buddy system was always a rule in our class, so he held my hand and walked me to the nurses office. There, he waited while I iced my bruised cheek and dried my tears while trying to look anywhere but him, because back then, I had a major crush on him. Oblivious to this, Taehyung talked about his favorite toys, but he only got me to react when he brought up his new puppy.

He stayed with me even until lunch time had come around. When he left, I thought he had returned to his friends, but the boy returned with his purple lunch pail. He pulled out his meal and made a cute, scrunched face when he used all his strength to tear his sandwich in half. Eyeing the uneven halves, he handed me the larger half with a smile.