Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1
XAVIER DELNAI
FEBRUARY 22ND, 2018

A new dawn peeks through the rusted glass of sealed windows. The dust of littered paper and quiet shelves fill the large room, with the vibrations of air vents and electronic buzzes captivating the ears of its visitors.

Ominous shadows fill the corners of the space, with a bar light beaming over the gleaming metal of polished weapons. I lean myself over the arsenal, surveying the modified guns in silence. While towering over the items on the table makes me look intimidating, I have someone watching over me to take that away. My closest friend, Alexander Hawk, stands across from me with calm eyes and crossed arms. His posture is serious, but his playful nature is easy to find when you've known him for years. He waves his short, black hair to the side before ending the silence in the room.

"Choose wisely." He says a couple of words in a rusted voice to taunt me. With the gleaming weaponry snagging my attention, I have no choice but to decide which one I want for myself. His arsenal is decent in size. Most of the weapons littered around are handguns, but several modifications such as sights or suppressors make them each unique. Only a few are rifles, and their special modifications range from extended magazines to laser sights.

Regardless of the options, I've still found myself to be curious about this entire event. Just several months ago, we were running from the public when they chased us for information about a murder case that we were involved in. The unfavorable part about it is that the whole thing took place in the forests. The murder, the events before and after that, and everything else. No one knows what really took place, and the clues are still being searched for.
The forests hold secrets we don't have the answers to. Going back into them is a dangerous thought, but I'm up for the challenge. We're simply aiming for animals this time, and have no interest in any other person being shot to the ground. The flashbacks I receive from the events of that whole situation are already haunting enough.

After a moment of studying the various options, I place my hand on a black pistol that begs for my attention. Alex snaps at me, catching me off guard and causing me to flinch.

"Not that one," Alex grumbles. I look up at him, placing my hand back on the polished edge of the table. He stares at me for a moment, refusing to show any emotion. My eyes narrow as I stare back. He told me I could choose what I wanted, but his desires come before mine.

I reach for a different weapon. A sleeker pistol carrying a laser sight wants my attention just as desperately as the last.

"Not that one either," Alex jokes, letting out a short chuckle. I place my hand back on the edge of the table, this time grasping forcefully from a building annoyance. Being someone who likes a
taste of sarcasm, I wave my hand over every weapon available and attempt to grab each one. I give Alex a light smile, and he eventually does the same as he continues to refuse my choices. After a few moments, I counter him by grabbing the first weapon I chose.

"I pick this one, and that is final," I laugh. He holds his smile before reaching for the pistol in my hands.

"Fine, fine. That's the worst one in my entire arsenal anyway," Alex jokes. He sets the weapon aside, placing it next to him on the table. After finalizing my choice, I wait for him to decide which weapon he'll pick for himself. To pass the time, my eyes wander in other directions, looking at the many decorations Alex has on the walls of his living room. Different posters and shelves holding small items clutter the room, and I eventually set my sights on a shelf holding small boxes and a land drone that rests on top of the wooden structure.
Studying the black drone, I admire its shape. Two small wheels extend from the round core of the device, all painted black over a shining metal. Hints of white symmetrically display under the eye of the drone, which I can't help but stare into. While the camera is dark and unused, my mind is bright and full of worries.