chapter 1

2 months later

From the day I was born, up until now, I'd been wearing hand me down sweatshirts.
Occasionally I'd have worn a stolen jacket or 2 from a nearby retail store, but today was different. Today I was wearing a freshly ironed pleated blue skirt, and a white button up, without a single stain. Laugh all you want, but it made me feel new. It reminded me that I had a chance at starting over, for the better.

Besides my obvious state of euphoria, I thought it looked decent with my long dark hair, and dull grey eyes. Usually I didn't have time to care about how I looked. When working at four different jobs, from morning to midnight, I couldn't exactly sit in front of the mirror and admire my ordinary looking face. Though that seemed like a lot of fun.

Today I woke up enthusiastically knowing I'd be heading to school, instead of the old bakery down the street. It was on the verge of shutting down anyways.

The click clack sound of my heals brought me back into reality. Looking around, I noticed how everyone started dispersing at the sound of the bell. The huge pillars situated around the gigantic circular room, were left lonesome as the students scrambled off in a herd. Why were they all going the same direction?

I checked my schedule. 7:30 - cafeteria, breakfast before school.

"Uhh," I mumbled to myself. Looking around I realized I stood here like a fool, while everyone already left. Well great, 5 minutes in, and I'm already lost.

"Are you lost?" A voice asked behind me.

Well first, I silently grinned at the fact, someone was at least talking to me. Then I turned around. I found myself having to strain my neck to look up.

There stood a girl, towering over me. She had to be at least six feet tall. Her blond hair flowed endlessly down her back, and she had blue eyes. However her existence screamed, 'I don't want to be here,' as she crossed her arms. She had an annoyed look which made me second guess if I should try becoming friends with her.

"Follow me."

She walked off in front of me, not bothering to see if I was following. Sighing, I caught up to her, and tried to hold a conversation, "So...whats your name? You know, if you don't mind."

She was silent for a while, "Emily."

"I'm Elizabeth, but you can call me Eli," I smiled, and looked over, only to see her putting in her headphones. She ignored me as she picked a song, and shut her phone off.

Good talk.

Entering the cafeteria, I noticed how big it was. There were three floors, and it looked like a huge fancy restaurant. There were cushioned red leather seats, with big round tables in the middle of the room. The place was decorated with beautiful paintings between the floor length windows, and in the middle of the dome shaped room, there was a gigantic chandelier.

It was almost too fancy for me. Probably because I know I don't belong here. But then again, where did I belong? I was practically homeless.

Emily, led me to the café to get breakfast. Or she led herself there, while I followed.

I grabbed a red lunch tray, and started to slide over, to get my food. Once we were done, I watched in utter horror as Emily tilted her tray towards the trash can, and all the food went tumbling down. And then she walked off. How could she just waste food like that?

I'd cry a hundred times before I threw any food away. I was lucky even getting to eat a full plate, and she just threw it away without a second thought.

Shaking my head, I followed her, but she excited the cafeteria. Without a word, she descended into the darkness of an unlit hallway. When she sat down on the cold hard floor, I almost lost my sight of her.

"Why don't you sit in the cafeteria?" I asked curiously, not expecting an actual response.

"To stay away from him." She muttered.

"Who's him?" I asked again. I was really risking my luck here. I wouldn't be surprised if she just got up and ran away from me. I was being nosy. "Sorry, I didn't mean to int-"

"Stay away from him Elizabeth, he'll hurt you like he did me." She whispered, picking at her nails.

"But who's he?" I was getting aggravated. Who was she talking about?

She looked up at me, but her eyes caught onto something behind me. Her eyes widened like saucers, and she got up and ran. She ran so fast....exactly like when I ran away from my last home.

Who could have caused her that much pain?

I looked behind me to see a group a guys walking together. They were all tall, lean, and radiated power, but one in particular stood out. He had light brown hair, and pale green eyes. His tan skin was smooth, and his jaw looked sharp enough to cut into stone. However, his eyes were filled with rage, as he watched Emily run away.

Suddenly I felt unknown anger. Whatever he did must have been bad, for her to be in that much pain. I knew what it felt like to be put through hèll, and it made me angry knowing people like him existed.

"Hey!" I barked at him. I didn't know what was going through my head right now. What was I thinking? I didn't need to defend her, but seeing her so broken reminded me of myself.

Stupid Eli. Why are you getting involved?

The group of five boys walked right past me, not even sparing me a glance. Are they deaf?

"Hey! Stop!" I barked again. I was getting anxious and mad all at the same time. My hand gripped the milk cartoon so hard, I could feel it denting.

Eli, let them go. Let them go Eli. Ugh fuçk it! I threw the milk carton, and watched with eyes so big, I thought they'd pop right out. Drops of strawberry milk flew out, few moments before the carton hit his mob of messy brown hair.

The milk spilled all over him, and trickled inside his button up shirt. Ahh bulls eye! Wait I probably shouldn't be celebrat-

"What the fuck!"