Chapter 2

The car ride back to his place is silent. Luca is in the driver's seat with Angelo beside him. Luciano sits on the other end of me, typing away on his phone. I didn't mind though, I was grateful for the silence. It gave me time to think. Truth is, I am not comfortable working with them, much less living in the same house. I was always a lone ranger and I knew that the mafia was like a family. I would be an outsider which I didn't really mind but I didn't trust them. I couldn't and that scared me a little. There would come a time where we would be on the field together and I had to not only concentrate on the mission but also watch my back. I knew how the mafia operated or rather I had a pretty good idea and there was no guarantee that I would walk away from this assignment completely unharmed. I was going to be living with them and seeing their daily dealings. Pair that knowledge with my sarcastic mouth and my general disdain for authority, I knew that Luciano and I were not going to get along well. He was the King, always in charge of everything and everyone and I was the rebel. This was going to be fun, it could possibly get me killed but what's life without a little danger, eh?

Half an hour later, we pull up at his mansion. I immediately take note of all the security in place. His home was located slightly inwards and I noticed plenty of security cameras on the road in. As we entered the gates, I had to admit I was impressed. This place was a fortress although I suppose when you were the don of the Italian mafia, it had to be. The car stops and one of his men open my door, slightly bowing his head in respect. Luciano steps out of the car, immediately barking orders in Italian to some of his men. I didn't bother listening. Instead, I grab my laptop bag since the other two were already being carried in and take in the exterior of his home.

Well, it was definitely beautiful. Although huge and luxurious, it had a homely feel to it.

"Please follow me, Alessa." Angelo said beside me and I followed him in. He opened the doors to reveal one of the most beautiful halls I have ever seen. It had high ceilings and an Italian interior, done tastefully in cream colours. It didn't feel gaudy or cold like most mansions do. Instead, I felt like this was an actual home for an actual family. One that was lived in and had seen many occasions. I could feel Luciano's eyes on me as he followed silently behind, gauging my reaction but I had just as good a poker face as he did. My eyes scanned the hall, again noting all the high tech security in place.

"Oh my god! You are stunning. Are you sure you did not kidnap her, fratello?"

I turn to see a flurry of dark hair before I feel arms around me, hugging me tightly. My eyes widen and I immediately stiffen. The brunette pulls away and I finally get a good look at her face. She's slightly shorter than me, standing at around 5"6 with long brunette hair, a shade darker than mine. She was beautiful and although she had hazel brown eyes, I could see the resemblance between her and Luciano. No doubt they were siblings.

"As if I would kidnap a la emicrania like her." his deep voice replies. I turn and smile sweetly at him,"As if you could kidnap me in the first place, Vincenzo" he glares at me and I hear his sister gasp before squealing in delight.

"Oh, I love you already. You know, I always wanted to meet a female assassin."

I stare at her in horror. What was wrong with the Moretti family? Seriously. She ignores my expression and continues chatting away. I hear Luca chuckle beside me and Angelo lets out a howl of laughter. Emilia stops talking and glares at them.

"Is something funny?"
Luca shakes his head, still chuckling while Angelo answers.

"Babe, you're scaring her. She's not scared of the Italian don but she has no idea how to deal with you." He starts howling with laughter all over again and I scowl at him. He's not wrong though. I was really out of my comfort zone here. Hold me at gunpoint and I knew what to do. Place a bubbly, chattering, happy female in front of me and I was lost. Emilia turns to look at me before smiling sheepishly at my expression.