The rangers nodded, getting to work. Watching the apprentices get ready for their archery test, Crowley felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to find Berwick and Jurgen, who had disposed of all the gear that made them known at rangers.

"Let's go," Jurgen said. "We don't want to keep the others waiting on their dinner."

Crowley nodded. "Lead the way."

Berwick frowned. "Are you not going to take off your cloak?"

Jurgen doubled back. "Right," he said. "We don't want to cause attraction."

Crowley looked down at himself. He had wanted to take a look around the village before he settled down and relaxed. After all, that was their task. Making sure every fief was running smoothly.

"You two go ahead and eat," he said. "I'm going to take a quick look around."

"Be careful," Jurgen said. "Don't let anyone spot you."

"Don't worry." Crowley chuckled. "I won't be long."

Crowley waited for Berwick and Jurgen to reach the village and enter the inn before pulling his cowl up over his head. Leaving his bow at camp, he crouched down and moved towards the village. Using the wind to his advantage, Crowley slipped behind a building. He checked up on every single building, smiling when he found everything alright. Crowley looked towards Castle Caraway in the distance, wondering what was going on inside. He looked back at the inn. It hadn't been too long. Maybe he could fit in a quick slip into the castle and back out in time for dinner before the others got worried.

Nodding to himself, Crowley looked around before sprinting towards the castle. It was hard to stay hidden on flat ground, and he preferred to get through it quickly.

"Hey!"

Crowley instinctively froze, cursing himself when he realized his cloak wasn't going to save him out in the open. He looked up to see several guards running towards him from the castle. Gulping, Crowley spun around to see a wall of people. He stood up, gulping as he turned back to face the guards.

"Afternoon," he said.

The guards didn't appreciate his politeness, grabbing him by the arm. "Who are you?" one of them asked.

"You don't want me to answer that."

The guard narrowed his eyes but said nothing else. They led Crowley inside the castle, and soon, he was standing in front of Baron Fergus and Sir Roger, the Battlemaster. It wasn't the most ideal way to get inside, but it worked.

After a few moments of conversation between the guards and the baron, Crowley realized that they thought that he was pretending to be a ranger. He blinked. It was probably best to let them think that. It would make it easier to escape.

"We're talking to you, you—"

With a start, Crowley realized that he had been asked a question. "What?"

The Battlemaster grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, raising him up. Crowley resisted the temptation to kick up, raising his chin. That was a mistake. The chain of his oakleaf raised, and Sir Roger saw the movement. He released Crowley, only to grab the chain, pulling the silver oakleaf out from underneath his shirt. Glaring at him, Crowley crossed his arms.

"Look at this, my lord," Sir Roger said, pulling the chain over Crowley's neck. "He's a real one."

Baron Fergus took the oakleaf. He looked between it and Crowley. "You shouldn't be here," he said.

Crowley challenged the man, staring straight into his eyes. His hard eyes grew harder when the baron called for the guards. Handcuffs were chained onto his wrists. Crowley glared at Baron Fergus. "I'm not going to run, you know," he said. "How could I? There are guards everywhere, and you've got my oakleaf."

The baron ignored him, promptly calling for men to fetch those important to hold a trial. "Bring him to the hall."

Shortly after he had been brought to the hall, people started to arrive. Crowley watched them all take their places in the sidelines. None of them caught his eye. They were all just average men who were more interested in coin. He rolled his eyes, hearing a few bets on how much Morgarath would pay for him. Then, Crowley straightened. Someone had caught his attention. Someone of worth and potential.

Tall and clean shaven, the man was the first and only to fully observe him. Crowley almost managed a smile at him as he circled him with a childlike interest. He could already tell that this man would go far. What surprised him more was the cheerful tone of his voice as if he had finally triumphed after hours of hard work.

"You're a ranger," he said.

Crowley grinned. He nodded. "Yes."

To his disappointment, Baron Fergus called for him to step to the side. Crowley glared at the baron. He was beginning to like him less and less. He sucked in a breath as the trial began.

Let's get this over with. 

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!