Chapter 1 | Home

I believe that all

Of our lives

We're looking for home

And if we're really lucky,

We find it

In someone's loving arms.

I think that's what life is-

Coming home.

- Anita Krizzan

~~

Today was the day.

The last show, the last show for the next six months, and it was in my hometown. All the horses could sense the excitement which can be painful when getting them to concentrate. So here I was, brushing Echo's coat with a slight rush in my pace.

"What if I see my parents?" I mumble to him, his breathing is slow, as if he were to fall asleep right then and there.

"What if I see any of the kids from my school?" I ramble at the top of my head. It was a possibility though, one of the many students or teachers could be in the crowd of the show tonight.

Would I be resembled as an outcast?

A coward?

A failure?

A reject?

To say I was jumpy tonight was an understatement, I was just wanting to get it over and done with.

"Ready for the show? The singing is almost finished you know?" Someone calls outside of the stall, making me jump in my stance.

"Jesus, you scared me." I place a hand over my heart, turning around to face the intruder.

Samuel.

"Good." he chuckles, a smirk lacing his lips. I grin, shaking my head.

Douchebag.

"I'm ready now, just relaxing Echo a bit." I start as I look at the spotless grey horse half-asleep beside me.

"Well, he looks like he's about to fall asleep, so congratulations." he says, grey eyes scanning the horse with sarcasm lacing in his words and I simply roll my eyes at him.

"The practice arena free?" I ask as I pick the neck rope off the floor. I tie it swiftly around Echo's neck, his head flickers for a moment, waking from the daydreaming.

"Yeah, not for long though-" the boy replies and unlocks the stall door, sliding it open.

"See you in the interval yeah?" I call out behind me as I lead Echo down the hallway to the sawdust arena.

"Yeah." I hear him respond, walking in the opposite direction.

God I hate dresses.

When I first was told I had to wear something like this I thought they were joking. They weren't. I had to wear this flowy dress at the start with Echo to portray a magical scene, pure bond, nothing less.

"I'm in charge now boy, eyes on me." I firmly tell the horse, standing directly in front of his head, tugging it gently down to my level so he knew I was serious.

Let's do this thing Echo.

~~

My eyes stay on Echo as I watch him wander out on the 'stage' to the pool of water. After a few moments I feel my feet do the same, walking how they taught me.