Prologue

In a land far, far away, lies the Kingdom of Fiore, a small peaceful nation of 17 million, and a place filled with magic! Found in every home, bought and sold in every marketplace, for most, magic is merely a tool, a mundane part of everyday life. For some, however, magic is an art, and they have devoted their lives to its practice. These are the mages. Banded together into magical guilds, they apply their skills in search of fame and fortune. Many such guilds dot the landscape of Fiore. But there is a certain guild in a certain town that soars high above the rest, one from which countless legends have been born... a guild that will no doubt continue to create legends well into the future. Its name... is Fairy Tail.
====================
Third Person POV
———————————————
A young girl with blonde hair and chocolate coloured eyes—and wearing to a princess style gown—sat in her room playing with a wooden sword, trying her hardest to act like a knight. Ever since she saw her older brother wield it two days ago, she was excited because she had seen how her brother had wielded it in such a way. They would always play the classic roles from many of their favourite fairy tale stories—of who would play the valiant knight, and who'd be the princess.

She'd always played the princess, of course. After all, she was a young girl. Then again, her mother always said that she could be whoever she wanted to be whilst growing up, and it always made the girl smile at the memory. It was always like her mother to be one of the only two people in the world who could cheer her up.

Just then, there was a chuckle coming from her bedroom door. "So THAT'S where my sword had disappeared to. I had a feeling that I'd find you of all people with it."

The girl turned around to see who had spoken, only to face none other than her brother leaning on the doorframe.

He was clearly taller one next to her... if only by a couple of inches. Compared to her sandy blonde hair, his hair was raven black; his eyes were a deep onyx black; and he was dressed in his usual attire—black T-Shirt and dark blue trousers. He was two years older than the girl, and was the first born child of their mother.

The girl yelped. She knew that she wasn't suppose to take his stuff without his permission, so she tried in futile to hide the sword from her brothers view behind her back. "Um, I don't know what you mean!" she sweat-dropped nervously.

The boy sighed, stepping forward with his hand outstretched. "Come on, Lucy. You know that stealing my things—even if it's my sword—upsets me. So can I please have it back?"

The thing was, whenever she heard her brother use that tone, she knew she couldn't be that mean to him. After all, he was a hero to Lucy. And she adored him as one.

In the end, she relented with a dramatic sigh and passed him his sword. "Alright, here you go. But I want a sword when I'm older Jason! It's no fair that you're the only one in this family that has a sword, even if it's wood!"

Jason laughed, taking his sword and twirling it several times in his hand. "Aww, don't be sad. I know that when you're older and know you learn how to use magic, you can be whoever you choose to be. But at your age of five, I don't think you can handle it. I mean, look at me."

He held out his right hand and almost immediately, a pulsing plume of white and yellow light appeared in his open palm. Lucy looked in awe at the power he showed, despite the fact it was a small amount. But as she saw her brother concentrate, she could see that it was tiring for him to focus that much. The obvious bead of sweat trailing down the side of his face proved just that.

"I can barely control mine," Jason said, closing his hand into a fist to extinguish the light in his hand. "And if that doesn't say anything, then I don't know what will."