Chapter 7

Chapter o7

“Oh look, that idiot’s coming again,” Casey grumbled, burying her head in her hands with a huff. “He’s such an ass and he’s all over you.”

I couldn’t help but agree with her as Terrence reached our table and gave me a flirty smile. I wished I could shoot him in the head.

“Hello, Terrence,” I said curtly, deciding to give in to my emotions for once. I didn’t really feel up to his antics today, and besides, I might as well make Casey happy. I could practically feel the gleeful approval she was radiating. Terrence feigned hurt, looking at me with massive sickening puppy eyes.

“Don’t be like that.” Rolling my eyes, I made it clear that I didn’t want to talk to him today, and turned back to Casey who was giving me the thumbs-up and laughing at the horrified look on Terrence’s face.

“Anyway,” Terrence said. “What do you guys say to a party tomorrow evening my place?”

“A party?” Casey chirped before I could say anything. “We’re totally in.” Terrence nodded and left, sending her a wink. Grinning, Casey turned back to me, and laughed at the expression on my face.

“What? It’s the first party of the year. You can’t not go.”

Sighing, I gave a shrug. “I guess you’re right. I need a dress, though. I’ve worn all the ones I have too many times already, and it’s always good to show up in a new one.”

“You’ll pull off anything you wear with aplomb.”

“Still,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

Casey’s eyes sparkled. “Well, then I think it’s time to go dress shopping.”

“This red one is really tight,” I complained, plucking at the straps. “I can’t breathe properly.”

“Nonsense,” Casey declared. “You look like a goddess.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” I said, pursing my lips. “I think I’ll try on another one.” So I picked one dress out of the dozen I had brought in with me at random, and donned it. It was a fantastic dress, shimmering blue fabric that drew in at the waist and flared out to mid-thigh. The trouble? On me, it looked like a blue puffball. Even Casey said so.

Scowling, I whacked her on the back. “Shut. Up. You look awesome in that yellow dress, by the way.”

“You think?” she said, twirling in a pirouette.

“Yep. Wear those hoop earrings of yours. You’ll look great.”

She narrowed her eyes at me, scowling. “You’re only saying that because you’re my friend. I look fat in this dress!”

I did a dramatic eye roll, sighing. “If you had your way, Casey, you’ll look fat in every dress. Trust my dress sense and get that thing.”

“It’s yellow. I hate yellow.”

“Then just pretend it’s blue,” I told her, and turned back to the mirror. My smile morphed into a scowl when I saw I still had the puffball dress on, and I stripped, selecting another dress without looking. The one I came up with was sheer violet with indigo hues. It was loose but gathered at the torso with a belt, and I knew instantly, the way every girl did but just couldn’t explain, that this was the dress for me.

“I’ll take this.” My voice was confident.

“Aren’t you going to try it on?”

“Nope. It’s perfect,” I said as I got dressed. Laughing, Casey hooked her arm around mine and we made our way out of the dressing room doing some Charlie Chaplin dance moves. People stared- but hey, live while you’re young, right?