Chapter 22

Chapter 22

You know how, when the popular girl gets sick, suddenly everyone is clamoring for her attention and wants to wish her a ‘happy recovery’? Well, I can tell you first hand that it is completely true, and also a load of tosh. Despite my injury, I was still a hot commodity, perhaps even more so because of the daredevil stunt I’d pulled off. I didn’t know whether to be flattered or put off.

“Get well soon, Lila!” a bunch of cheerleaders said as they walked past, though they weren’t looking at me and instead at a group of jocks who were walking bye. Rolling my eyes, I shoved past them, wanting to get to history class as soon as possible. But then something caught my eye.

She wasn’t wearing her usual skimpy clothing and six inch heels. She looked weary, with dark circles under her red and watery eyes. The way she moved, dragging her feet along the corridor, went a long way to show she was really tired. And when I saw she was wearing sneakers- that was when I knew something was up.

Penelope never wore sneakers.

Quickening my pace, I kept my eyes on her as she headed down the corridor. Then she turned, presumably into the Physics lab- which I couldn’t have because it was unbearably crowded. Lunging for her arm, I grabbed it and pulled her into an empty classroom, shutting the door behind me. Time for interrogation.

I knew Jericho wouldn’t be pleased. I wasn’t supposed to interrogate Penelope on my own because who knew what tricks she had up her sleeve? But then again, it was too excellent a chance to miss- and I wasn’t very good at following instructions.

“Penelope,” I growled. She slouched in front of me, looking at me with beady eyes that held not the slightest trace of alarm. I resolved to make my voice more menacing, and tried, but it only came out sort of contorted.

“What is Seth planning? What part do you have in it? Were you responsible for all the murders-” Quicker than I thought she could move, Penelope reached into her pocket and took out something. A glimpse told me it was a clear vial, filled with viscous red liquid too light to be blood. She yanked off the cap and sloshed the liquid into the air- where it evaporated into nothing.

I scoffed. “That’s the best you can do-”

And then it happened. My vision went blurry, my eyes stinging. I couldn’t see two feet in front of me, as the tears streamed down my face in rivulets. Distantly, I was aware of Penelope slipping out the door while I was blinded. She must have had some form of extreme tear gas! Shouting in frustration, I wiped my streaming eyes and dashed out the door after her. She had to be in the corridor-

But she wasn’t. I let out a frustrated sigh, and raked a hand through my hair. I didn’t see her for the rest of that day. She was clearly avoiding me, no doubt under Seth’s orders, and if I tried to find her I might get something worse in the face than a tear bomb.

Naturally, I headed straight to Jericho’s office after the last bell for the day rang. He offered me a cup of chai, made me sit down, and I related everything that had happened. He looked exasperated with me.

“Lila,” he sighed. “Do you have to do the opposite of what I say?”

“No,” I answered indignantly. “Everything you say is the opposite of what I do. Besides, shouldn’t you be more worried about how to corner that slimy little worm?”

“Language,” he chided, frowning. “I… I have no idea.”

“You do realize,” I said pointedly, “that the longer we drag this out, the more people will die?”

“I know,” he said wearily. “And I wish we could stop it, but first we have to figure out Seth’s motives. Why does he want Zara so much?”

“It seems like the only way to stop this is to hand her over.”