Chapter 1 - Fallen

"Ellie get up and get that damn fire running again!" Yelled the man in the house-like tent. "If you die out there they blame will be on me!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, not like you care." Ellie muttered as she picked herself up off the ground next to the fire she had built. Her father refused to let her sleep in the tent that she had put up.

Ellie walked around the edges of the plateau, picking up small sticks and putting them in her sleeve, it was the only place she could hold them without a cold, sharp pain to run through her fingers rapidly. She looked out at the now darkened view from the mountain, the moon seemed like it didn't even exist, only stars and faint outlines of plants and mountains could be seen.

'Mom would have loved this, looking at the stars, she would have loved it.' Ellie thought with a slight smile, ignoring the shivers and quakes her body was giving out.

"Ellie hurry up with that damn fire!" Called the middle-aged man. Ellie ignored it. "Don't make me come find you!" He yelled. Ellie ignored it.

'Why should I listen to him anymore? It's his fault I'm out here.' Ellie thought as she dropped the sticks she was carrying. 'If I died out here, my death would be pinned on him. Maybe then he'll go to jail.'

Ellie inched carefully to the edge, taking small steps in an attempt not to fall over. She looked down below, the cliff almost seeming like a black hole in the darkness of the night. Adrenaline coursed through Ellie's body, the curiosity of the slights below exciting her more every second. 'What lies below? Is there a mini plateau or just sharp rocks? What-'

"Ellie, what do you think you're doing?" Asked the cold, deep-voiced male standing behind her.

"D-Dad! I was just... adventuring?" Ellie replied.

"Were you?"

"Uhm... yes?"

Ellie's dad seemed to be backing her up, she could feel the ledge of the cliff on her heels and she felt like she was about to teeter off of it.

"Didn't I tell you to get sticks for the fire." Ellie's father asked in more of a statement rather than a question.

"You did but-"

"And are you getting sticks." He took a step closer.

"No, but-"

"Then what would you be doing here." He took another step closer.

"I was just-"

"Just what? Looking off the edge of the mountain?" Another step. "Wondering what would happen if you were to simply fall off, perhaps?" Another step. "Maybe if you fell off, you thought, you would land on some sort of soft bed and wake up from this cold nightmare?" Another step.

"Dad, back up," Ellie said nervously to tall man who was now about an inch away from Ellie.

"No, if you are so curious, why don't you see for yourself what's below."

"Dad I don't-"

"Goodbye, Ellie."

Ellie's father stepped slightly closer and extended his arms, pushing Ellie over the edge.

"Now!" Called a female voice that Ellie hadn't heard before, the fear causing her to snap her eyes shut and curl up into a ball.

"Illusione inversa!" Called another, the hands of which seemed to belong to Ellie's father fading away into thingness.

"Bolla di trasferimento!" Called the first.

"What have you found now?" A deep unfamiliar male voice asked.

"Shh will you! I'm trying to observe." The first voice replied.

Ellie nervously peeked open her eyes, not sure what she was expecting to see. She was surrounded by a blurry ball of colors and was floating in the middle of it.

"What the hell?!" Ellie yelled. This scared her more than anything.

"You sure she can do it?" The male voice asked.

"I'm positive." The girl replied with a sadistic tone.

"Alright, fine, but if this fails, I'm using you as my next meal, Portabella." The male said before the blurry bubble dissolved and a forest appeared around Ellie and the falling resumed, and soon after she hit the water.

Ellie swam the shore frightened. How did she get here? She had never even seen this place before. How did water get under her?

She pulled herself onto the long grass and laid down facing the sky. It was mid-day.

What the- did I pass out? How did I survive underwater? She thought as her eyelids got heavy. She was exhausted and confused, but she couldn't fight the urge to close her eyes and rest.