Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I was surrounded and they were closing in. I couldn't run, they would find me. I couldn't stay, they would kill me. Hiding would only delay the inevitable.

Shouts rang out behind me, quick heavy footsteps followed. I ran faster but it made no difference. They found me. I'm done.

Hands grabbed at my hair and clothes, pulling in all directions. Their faces were indistinguishable, blurring into one mass.

Through the confusion a handful of faces distinguished themselves from the rest. They were right in front of me, blood splattered on their clothes. One of them pulled me close, put his face right against the side of my head. He opened his mouth to speak, gagging me with the horrendous stench of his breath.

"No ones here to save you now, Sweetheart." It was the man that I had left on Ryan's kitchen floor, laughing in my face.

I screamed and thrashed. Now they were all laughing. I could see their grotesque faces looming in front of me.

"You're all alone." Ryan leered.

"You should have died with us." My mom and sister said chillingly in unison.

"Dont worry. Your time is soon." Jules snarled.

"You run but you can't hide." They all said together. "We'll find you. No matter where you go, well find you!" They were shouting at me now. Grabbing me, shaking me, screaming at me.

"Amelia!" A voice broke through the chaos.

My eyes flew open, taking a deep breath. I was disoriented for a few seconds, not knowing where I was. I saw the small room and the rocking chair in the corner but they weren't making sense in my mind. Then the pain came back to me making me cry out. I sunk back into the bed, clenching my eyes shut until the pain became bearable. I opened my eyes again to find someone very close to me. The man was over me, looking down at me with a worried expression. He looked familiar but I couldn't place him in my dazed and confused state.

"You scared the shit out of me. I thought you were dying when you screeched like that." He let out a sigh. "I came running in and you looked like you were having a seizure, rolling around, getting caught in the covers. Don't scare me like that." The man turned away from the bed, running his hands through his hair. "What the hell were you dreaming about?"

I couldn't react for a few seconds, to shocked by what I was seeing. The man who had saved me. The man who sat silently in the corner. The man who fed me. The featureless black silhouette now had a face and a name. A name that I knew all along.

What an idiot, I thought.

My face must have shown how mad, confused, shocked, and betrayed I felt, because as soon as he turned back to look at me, he paled. His eyes were sad, mouth open as if to say something but nothing came out. He didn't knew what to say. I had a lot to say I just didn't know how to start so I just sat there staring up at him.

"How?....What?..... Why?....." Words couldn't comprehend how I felt.

"I just..." Sigh. "I couldn't..." Alec stuttered.

"Couldn't what?" I screeched. The out roar hurt my chest but I ignored it.

"I knew you would get hurt. I couldn't..."

"You knew I would get hurt? Why, because I'm a weak little girl who can't take care of anything on her own. So the logical thing to do was stalk me for a hundred miles." Enraged didn't begin to describe the emotions that were going through me. It wasn't only that he had stalked me for a hundred miles, but because I was weak. I couldn't take care of myself and I would be dead right now if he hadn't followed me. And the fact that he could see that so easily made me furious.

"I don't think your weak." Alec tried to explain. He was looking everywhere around the room except at me.

"Really? You just don't think I'm capable enough to handle myself in the big bad world?"

"Well I was right. Those men almost killed you. If it weren't for me they would have killed you and then left your body there to rot and get eaten by wild animals." His voice rose, he was getting frustrated with me. He was now pacing back and forth along the narrow strip of available floor at the foot of the bed.

"Do you remember that I said last time I saw you?" My tone was dead, showing none of the emotions that raged inside of me. Alec didn't respond so I continued, speaking very slowly. "I said that if you followed me, I would kill you. And I swear to God, as soon as I'm strong enough I will."

Alec stopped pacing and stared at me, but said nothing. He seemed to be having some kind of inner monologue but then came to a conclusion. He nodded once, turned and left the room. Once I heard the door close behind him I finally relaxed. I was shaking and had started crying at some point. I didn't try to muffle my sobs or stop them, I just cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I wasn't sure why I was crying, but it made me relax and was a relief. I was so frustrated and stressed that I couldn't stop the overwhelming emotion.

This man was actually mentally insane. That's the only explanation of why he would follow a girl who he had not connection to, a hundred miles. He had obviously lied to me in New Haven about his mom and sister, and what else could he be lying about? I knew nothing about this man and as far as I'm concerned, anything out if his mouth is a lie.

But then there was the problem that for at least another month if not longer, I wouldn't be able to get out of this bed let alone find food. How would I be able to survive on my own in this state?