Chapter Twenty One: An Angel's Mending

Start from the beginning

"I believe you," I admitted softly, gazing deep into those chocolate brown eyes. A smile appeared on her red lips. "But I'm not ready for another heart ache, Bridget."

My confession surprised her, I could tell. The way she stepped back hastily letting my hand fall to my side. As if my confession wasn't what she wanted to hear. She wanted everything to go back to normal. To relish in the past events when we were together. She wanted me to be at her side and make her believe everything would be the same but the truth is, it wouldn't. It would never be the same. I know the guilt was haunting her and she regrets every minute of it but as for me, this was my life where I charge forward not cower backwards. I didn't want to bring my past to the present where I only had little bit of time to fix everything that needed to be fixed.

To be friends with this woman was something I didn't want but to have good karma for once in my life, I had to befriend her even if it's something she doesn't want. I don't want to wait for her phone call and tell me she loves me more than anyone she's been with. I don't want to wait for her text messages where her words may come out as lies. That was four years ago when I was a broken hearted fool. I'm not going to embrace that.

I took my hand out, giving her a reassuring smile as I said, "Friends?"

She gaped at me in complete and utter shock.

Yes, this heartless bitch was finally giving chances to those who deserve it. Maybe it was shocking to see me smile without it being fake. Maybe my cold exterior was melting all the way. Maybe I was finally having a heart.

"I-I..." She shut her mouth, her stuttering making my smile grow into a grin.

"You don't have to agree but at least know this, Bridget," I leaned forward, my cheek skimming against hers as my lips rested on her ear. I could hear the sudden intake of her breath which brought a secretive smile to my face. "I forgive you and I rather have you as my friend than an enemy at this moment. Trust me, you wouldn't want to be my enemy," I chuckled and stepped back, giving her another smile.

Finally, she smiled back and surprised me when she threw her arms around me and hugged me. I was never a hugging a type but something inside of me wanted to get as much hugs as possible so I wounded my arms around he waist and hugged her tightly. It would be difficult to be her friend. Letting your first love go was the hardest thing to do. Even if they broke your heart, you would always have feelings for that person. For me, seeing a future of Bridget loving someone else would tear a little at my heart but as long as she's happy, it would suit well with me.

I may be stupid to still have feelings for her but know this, everyone would always have feelings for their first love even if they don't admit it.

The hug ended by the sudden honk from outside. I sighed and stepped aside, meeting those chocolate brown eyes I once gazed before with love. Now, it was mere friendship.

"I have to go," I told her quietly.

She nodded, "Where you going?"

I smirked, "I don't want a stalker in my hands, Bridget, but if you so obsessively want to know, I have an appointment."

"Oh," was all she said.

One simple word full of understanding.

Who knew another simple, foreign word would bring me to the verge of giving all my best in this battle...

*     *     *     *

( TWO DAYS LATER )

"You're sure you don't want to go?"

I nodded, tearing my eyes away from the TV to my beautiful mother standing near the end of the couch, holding her black coat in her arms. She looked elegant with her navy blue, sleeveless dress that flowed to her knees yet hugged her waist. It covered her torso like a blanket yet dipped down into a 'V' in the back. Sophisticated yet sexy. As much as it disturbed me to think of my mother as a ravishing woman, she would always be beautiful to my eyes. Even if she was wrinkled and saggy boobed.