Chapter Eight: Back on Track

• Dedicated to Kiku Honda Matsushita

I could still feel Daniel holding me tight. For that very moment, I could sense something I could not explain. Something familiar but something I do not know.

Daniel’s tight arms around me while we were swirling the waves made me feel secured, satisfied. And I could feel my self, wanting to hold him tight.

I do not want to be somewhere in the sea and find my self on the Caribbean if I lost my hold on him.

When we were finally on the shore, Daniel managed to sit me down the sand. He covered me with the towels he had earlier, held my head and kissed my forehead, while he swam back to the sea to fetch the surfing boards.

I felt like I was being treated as a younger brother. Good, I always wanted to have a sibling, only if mother and our baby sister didn’t die.

 I still cannot remove that unusual feeling from my mind, continually trying to break it down to my comprehension.

I felt my self trembling, and I saw my little feet shaking, and my hands are a little wrinkled. Why would I hold on to Daniel like that? Tightly as if I never wanted to let go. Why would Daniel hug e tight when the waves were putting pressure on our safety? Why did I feel so safe in him?

I think I was scared.

Fear made us hold on to each other. Daniel wouldn’t want to be accused of my death on the waves, and of course, I do not want to be far from Pe’ Ahi if I lost grip on Daniel. Yes, that was it, reflexes.

That moment I realized everything was due to our reflexes, my body stopped shivering. I saw Daniel walking towards me, carrying the surfing boards. I took the parasol an our shirts as Daniel reached his hands to help me stand.

For another moment there, Daniel didn’t let go of my hands while walking slowly towards their house.

“No one will know this happened, or else, mom and dad will kill me.” Daniel asked me. He really was scared. That time I wanted to play black-mailing him, but I chose not too.

“Of course, but I will tell them I almost dies because of you if you do anything bad with me.”

I giggled and let go of his hand, ran and kicked sand on him. Daniel dropped the surfing boards. Daniel’s reaction made me laugh; it was so precious that I should have taken a photo. When he finally smiled, he kicked sand back at me.

We did nothing but laugh as we were drenched in sand all over our body and hair. Pe’ Ahi will give me a good time.

________________________

We were back in the ocean, swimming. I do not know but I feel like beaches would be so much fun with Daniel as a playmate. That time around, Pe’ Ahi was filled with tourists and vendors. All the restaurants, snack bars, lemonade and drink stands, float rentals and massage offers were open. All around, I could here people saying “Aloha” and music playing all around.

The difference of Hawaiian music from the ones I heard in Florida is that, Hawaiian music invited relaxation. Even though I cannot understand the language, the beat and music made me feel refreshed. Kele was right about that fortune telling.

Daniel and I swam in the blue oceans filled with big waves. He grabbed some goggles so we could see underwater for a longer period of time. The sun was high so the ocean was properly illuminated.

Underneath was white fine sand, and I could see hermits, sea shells and multi-colored fish. When we swam farther, I could see some coral reefs, but I refused to go further.

When we we’re going back the shores, Daniel gave me a turtle ride. I was sitting on his back while he swim. I was amazed of how long he could stop his breathing.