6

"Miss Rea?" I stretch my arms above my head, up against bed frame. Breathing in the cool air through my mouth and exhaling through my mouth, causing a loud sigh. One at a time I open my eyes and face towards the door. Is there really a man standing there or am I dreaming? "Miss Rea?" The voice echoes around the room until it finally sinks in.
"What the hell Dexter! Get out!" I shout, covering myself with the duvet. So he's not genuinely nice, just a straight up creep...
Rushing around the room, I somehow manage to get ready and check the time. 10:15am. It's no where near time for work what is he doing in my apartment? Standing closely behind the bedroom door, I open it, revealing Dexter stood in front of the window. Taking a moment to admit this is real, I walk out of the bedroom and towards the apartment door.
"Dexter, as much as I would love your company," that's a lie, "I really have to get ready for my first shift tonight," As soon as I said that I had instant regret. I just told this creep that I'm going to be working tonight, all alone, in empty rooms.
"Ah of course, of course," he bows as he leaves, trying to sound as sympathetic as possible. I close the door as quickly as I can, making sure to not only lock it with a key but also all the bolts as well. That pervert is never stepping foot in here again. Quickly, I scan the room, making sure everything is in place.
"Somethings missing," I whisper, walking towards the kitchen counter. "No, I must be imagining things," I shake my head and walk back into the bathroom to continue to get ready.

Finally, the time has come for my first shift. Not just the first for this cleaning service, this is my first ever job shift. Better make the most of it. "Oh the keys," I'm already five minutes late, so I decide to take my bag with me. Just to help save time, instead of spending more just searching for the key. The elevator plays the same music as the day before, as I travel to the main floor. As the number changes to Floor: G (for ground floor), I manage to force a smile. Smiling is the key to success, my father's wisest words.
"Ah, Miss Rea, lovely smile," Dexter offers his hand as the doors slide open, but I choose to pretend I don't notice. It's best to keep my distance till I know his intentions from this morning.
"Hello Dexter," I muffle under clear awkwardness. Shifting my eyes, I see the room holding the cleaning supplies. "Sorry, I have to go." Actually I'm not sorry at all.
Inside, there's a uniform and a cart full of all the cleaning supplies I need. To the side, there's a sitting area with washing machines and tumble dryers. "So I'm not the only one working here?" I question myself.
"Of course not, silly," I look around the corner, and see a tall man grabbing a drink from the vending machine. "This is Z Inc. after all," The puzzled expression on my face must have become obvious, since the male made one similar. "You really thought you were the only one?" A slight laugh escaped his mouth at the end.
"I guess I kind of did," I answer, yet he keeps the same look on his face. "I mean Mr Eubanks never mentioned anyone else," I cringe at the fact I called Noen Mr Eubanks. Still hard to believe that someone so obnoxious could be in charge of such a huge company.
"Oh, that's ok. Anyways the uniform for you is already placed on top of that cart," His American accent was stronger than most I've heard so far; there was also a camp tinge to it. "The toilets are just on the right, so you can get changed in there. I'll explain everything when you're done," gesturing with his hand, he points towards the toilets. Without another word, I do as I'm told and proceed to the room.

Tightening the apron around my waist, I look at myself in the mirror. All of them expensive facials couldn't even hide the circles under my eyes at this point. Seeing my skin so bare is a weird feeling. No makeup to hide any blemishes, just me. There is definitely a visible weight loss from my arms and legs, compared to last month. Having to budget with no knowledge has just made me to paranoid to spend money on food and necessities.
"Just think of it as a cleanse," I tell myself, before leaving back into the cleaning staff room.
"Fantastic," the other cleaner cheers, clapping his hands just to be over the top. "Now, since this is your first day, this is just going to getting to know the basics," he pauses, looking back down at me.
"The basics," I repeat to try and rid of the sudden quiet atmosphere.
"Just like my name, I'm Milo and since we have the same work hours..." he stops yet again. I don't try to reply this time. "I will be your mentor," he shouts in excitement.
"Well you can call me Audra," I smile, waiting for a response. But instead, we carry on walking towards the lift. In front of me, he pushes the cart into the elevator and presses for floor 2.
"Unfortunately, we've been left with the worst room to clean," I can hear Milo gulp as the ding sounds and door opens.
"Which room is it?" Is the only thing I can think to say to that quiver in his voice.
"On the bright side we only have to clean the main room, the others are for confidential documents," he avoids my question and strolls the trolley in front of the door. Of course, just my luck it had to be this room. 206.