10

The winter breeze feels colder tonight. It's funny, I went from living as a billionaire to sleeping on a park bench. Even lower down the ladder than any common person. Living like this, has never been a regular thought, or any kind of thought. Really, I always thought my father's money would provide for myself and many generations after. But no, somethings aren't meant to be. Sitting up, I look up at the sky. There's no use in trying to sleep, it won't happen. Slowly, I swing both of my legs, trying to heat up my body as best I can. "At least this is as bad as it gets," I sigh aloud. Due to the low temperature, I watch as the condensation leaves my mouth. My hands turns pink and lose all feeling. Each move of them felt like a stab from a needle.

"Are you ok miss," Beside me, a man in uniform sits on the bench. The navy blue and hi-vis is an unsettling familiar sight. I haven't spoke to any form of authority since the crash. He takes off his gloves, one by one, passing them over to me.

"Thank you," I shiver, shaking as I slide my hands inside. Still, I don't turn to face him, he doesn't look over at me either.

"A young woman shouldn't be sleeping on the streets in a city, it's dangerous," His statement manages to catch my attention. Then, he stands up and takes a hold of my hand. "Let's get you out of the cold," How am I supposed to say no to a police officer? Especially one trying to help. With no reply, I oblige and stand beside him. He let's go of my hand, and walks ahead. A few paces behind, I follow him back to the crystal white police car. "Here, sit in the back if you're scared of being recognised," He must think I'm uncomfortable. Next, he opens the car door for me and I take my place in the backseat. When the door closes, I rest my head against it. The warmth pains me more than the outside breeze. Instead of pins, it now feels like fire. As if my hands are on fire. Minutes pass, each one waisted on watching empty roads. Knowing exactly where I was heading was terrifying enough. The car pulls up outside of the building; once again the man opens the door for me, helping me out of the vehicle. "Just go over to the desk and I'll note some things down," Right here, I could tell them about everything that's happened. They could put me into witness protection, but no, the evidence is gone. Why would they believe me? "Alrighty then," He yawns, sitting behind the counter top. "All we need to know is your full name, address and guardian," All of these questions, no longer have an answer: my full name is now a secret, I don't want to go back to that apartment building and my guardians are dead. "Full name, that's an easy one at least, right?" There's still no answer, no matter how 'easy' it seems. "Hmm, then how about address, we can drop you off there," I don't want to go back there. As much as I wish I could admit everything, I value my life too much to do so. "Then I guess the only one you can answer is guardian," For a few minutes, we stay in complete silence. There's an obvious confused expression, smeared across the officer's face. Soon, his confusion turns to shock. Quickly, he gets out of the chair and does a small bow. "Hello Mr Eubanks sir," My eyes widen, all of the tiredness is rid of. Immediately, I turn around. There he is, Noen Eubanks.

"I'm Audra's guardian," he signs his signature on the form in front of me and links his arm with mine. All around, I can hear the cameras click and see the flash go off on all the phones. What is this? Obeying Noen's every action, I walk out beside him, smiling back at the kind policeman. Behind, his face is still in astonishment, just as much as mine is. Outside, is the same car arrived to the apartments in.

At first, I reach for the door myself, but the driver jumps out of his seat and opens it for both Noen and I. In the car is a complimentary bottle water, I can't help myself but gulp a quarter of it as soon as I sit down. I didn't know I was this thirsty. My leg begins to shake in anxiety; how did he know I was here? Most importantly, why did he come to get me? The car pulls out of the parking lot and drives away from the station.

"Why are you here?" I ask, keeping my eyes focussed on the passing landscape. In the back of my head, I can feel Noen's eyes staring at me. He makes no attempt at an answer, causing me to turn and look back at him. "Why are you here?" I repeat myself, trying to get an answer. Still, he just looks at me blankly. All this time, I don't think I've seen him ever look like this. Usually, he likes to show he's in a higher position to everyone else. No one admires him for it, but it's weird to see him so blank. What is going on? Shaking my head, I turn back towards the window.

"So Audra Rea is alive," To his remark, my mouth drops. Turning my head steadily, I look at him, returning his gaze and eyeing him up and down. From his feet, back up to his eyes.

"What did you just say?" I gulp and my hands start to shake.

"Audra Rea is alive," His blank look becomes just the same as mine. Scared. "Why did you never tell me?" Right now, I want nothing more than to tell him, no I have to...

"They'll kill me if I do," My eyes shift back to his. Now his life is in just as much danger as mine. "Please, you can't tell anyone you know, they'll kill you. I don't care about my life being taken, but no I can't live with some else's blood on my hands. Noen, I mean Mr Eubanks, please I'm begging don't-" He cuts me off by surprise. Placing both his hands around mine, stopping the shaking. He leans in closer.

"No one is going to hurt you," His whispers, causing my whole body to shudder to the return of his stern voice. "As for me, they couldn't if they tried," He faces away, resting his arms on the armrests. Seeing him back to his usual self reassures me, Noen must be one hundred percent serious about this. "So is that why you ran away?" His irritating smirk returns to his face.

"Shit I forgot," How could I forget about the 'eyes everywhere'? Going back is the worst thing for both of us. "I can't go back, they'll find me again," Flustered, I try pushing the door open, but it's locked. I need to get out.

"Why not? Aren't you safer under my protection than on the streets?" Of course that's his first thoughts. Should I tell him about Dexter? If he knows everything else, I have no reason not to. Letting go of the handle, I gaze over at him. Noen may act like he knows everything, he may think he does himself. However, it doesn't change the fact that he's still a kid. Right now, he's probably just hiding his emotions, so he can look more powerful and collected. Knowing my true title, he's probably nervous. The daughter to his dead rival is in his car. "I don't care who you are, I'm still your boss and if you want to keep your job and pay check, you will return home with me. Mr Kim, stop the car," At the closest point Mr Kim can, he pulls over and stops the car. "If you wish to leave, do so now. But I will never come looking for you again," When he words it that way, I have no choice. Money is essential to survival in this society.

"I'm sorry," I say, just above a whimper. In response, the driver continues on back to the apartments. To my side, I can hear Noen's sigh of annoyance. Hopefully, he'll be safe.

Part 1: The Difference, End