Season 1: 1

Part 1: The Difference

Watching all three coffins be lowered into the floor is an empty pain, you could never experience it at any other time. It's a final send off, a final reminder from the dead that there's no one left to protect you. There's no one left to care for you anymore. The final reminder that you're alone. In synchronisation, my mother, father and younger brother are buried beneath the earth. None of them to ever speak or walk again. Every memory I can recall comes flooding back all at once; the hurtful ones and the caring ones. How I would always tell my father I hated him for never being home or even in the country. Then, after another argument with him, my mother would always come into my bedroom to console me. My brother joining us into one group hug. All of us trying to hide the truth that at the end of the day, my father was and always will be, a self-centred, money orientated and work alcoholic arse of an old man. Even in his death he continues to mock us. Leaving all his fortune, not to his family, but instead his business partners who didn't even show to his funeral. His dying wish to not only leave me by myself, but with no sense or guidance either. Just to prove how many shits he ever gave about me. If I was the only one here, I'd gladly spit on his grave, but the priest is standing right beside me.
"I'm sorry no one else showed up Audra," he places his hand on my right shoulder, as together, we watch the final shovel of dirt be poured over his deathbed.
"It's ok, I wouldn't have showed either," I leave the church with my harsh words and walk away. Eyeliner streaks down my face from the previous tears shed for my beloved brother and mother. The only two people to ever show me kindness without being forced to. Now gone to heaven as my father hopefully wastes away in hell.
Outside the tall gates, I see my last limousine ride awaiting me. Without another word, I sit in the back seat and watch the passing cars as he makes the way to my new home. In courtesy of the new owner of the company, I was offered one year rent to keep quiet about my fathers wrong doings in his life. With that, came this free ride to the airport owned by them. He founded a multi billion company and could only leave me with one years rent and the small amount of money my mum kindly left behind.

After more than a few hours, I finally arrive at the airport my dad once owned. As I step out of the ride, I give my last thank yous to my now ex driver, who returns with a simple nod before driving away. With me is a small bag with seven hundred dollars and ten pounds. No where near enough to survive a year, but it's a start. My plans are quite simple, everything has already been organised (my visa and housing) so the only thing to do is clothes shopping and job searching. Never in my life had I considered finding a job until this very moment. Despite my father never being around, we always had the money he earned. I never even thought he'd leave us nothing in his will, yet here I am. Left with nothing. Just like my whole life didn't mean a thing to him.
"Last call for plane 308 to Georgia, boarding at gate 28A," the woman says in a stereotypical British accent through the intercom.

The flight lasted ten hours, but luckily, I managed to sleep the whole way through it.
"Excuse me honey, we're leaving the plane now," a young woman holding a baby smiles, helping me up with her one free hand.
"Oh my, I'm so sorry," I reply, stepping into the aisle, allowing her to exit the plane first.
I swing my bag over my shoulders and walk through the tunnel connected and into the airport. Making sure to thank the staff as I walk past. As I walk by all the fast food places I take note of the average prices of the food from the fast food courts. Of course I'd been to America before, but I guess money was also never a concern for me at that time. Right now, it's like I'm living a whole new life.
Somehow, I make my way to the main doors of the airport without getting lost and walk over to a man holding a sign Audra Rea on the front. "Hello," I wave at the man, he doesn't move an inch.
"Hello Miss Rea, please take a seat in the back seat and I will take you to your destination. You will not be charged for this as it is complimentary from the owners of Z inc." He still doesn't enter the car until I'm securely sat in my seat, with the seatbelt buckled. Z incorporation, where have I heard that name before? It's not Rea Industries, so it wasn't owned by my old man's company.
"Excuse me," I lean forward, "What's Z incorporation?" His eyes look into the rear view mirror before returning to the road.
"Z incorporation owns apartment blocks and many airports and other small business across the USA and for the last few years England." I close my eyes and remember that phone call I had with my father a few weeks ago. In the background someone mentioned Z inc. taking over Rea Industries future locations. Wait, so this incorporation was one of my father's rivals. Why would he make me move into one of their apartments? Leaning back into my seat comfortably, I rest my head against the window and ask that same question to myself over again. Just what are you trying to do dad? I wonder before closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep again.