"We have to go," I whispered urgently. 

Viri shook her head and pushed me away from her as I tried to wrap her arm around my neck.

"You go, just keep going past this building. Make a left and then there's going to be two streets to choose from. Go with the one that's missing the street light. When you get to the parking lot all the cars have the keys hidden under their hoods. Choose a car and get the hell away from here. We're only 3 miles away from the last place you had seen your people. "Go" she coughed again and hunched over to spit out the blood.

"I can't leave you here," I cried and reached out her again. She pushed me away once again and shook her head defiantly. A zombie appeared and I quickly bashed its head in with the bottom of the shotgun. Viri's eyelids began to flutter and she collapsed onto the floor.

"Go," she whispered and began coughing some more.

FUCK me. 

I threw the shotgun back over my shoulder and threw Viri over my shoulder. She was pretty light and I felt strong. Except for the fact that there were more zombies headed in my direction. I saw a broken pipe laying on the floor nearby and I picked it up. Three zombies rounded the corner as I neared it once again and I stunned one, sending it back a couple of steps. The other two kept coming and I swung with all my mite towards the one closest to me. It slammed into the side of the building with a sickening thud and fell to the floor. I was left with the last zombie and with all the force I had just used I felt drained. That and the fact that I was carrying Viri didn't help. 

I stumbled and cursed. The zombie reached out its hands and grabbed Viri's leg. She screamed weakly and tried to kick it away but it held on. I kicked the zombie in its midsection and my foot went through its stomach. I guess its stomach area had begun to rot and was sensitive. I screamed and tried to get my foot out but it was wedged into the intestines. I felt the vomit building up in my throat. As a desperate measure I kicked upwards with the foot that was stuck in the zombie and stunned it. Its head snapped backwards and my leg was dislodged from its midsection. I cringed when I looked at my shoe and saw all the guts and gore stuck to them. Not to mention the fact that the zombie had a long slit in its stomach and its intestines were beginning to droop onto the floor. 

"Just die bitch," I screamed and rammed the pipe into the zombies skull. 

I felt as though I was going into shock and I looked down at my hands. My injured one had gone numb. 

I jogged with Viri over my shoulder and tried to remember her directions best I could. I could hear her breath begin to falter. 

 "Put me down, and run." she whispered. "You already know that I'm not going to make it. There's no point."

Her words hurt me, but I knew she was right. I felt tears threatening to spill. I hadn't known her long. But after living in this world for so long you begin to forget that you're human. You begin to forget kindness. You begin to forget trust.

I cursed and then set her down on the floor.

"You sure?" 

She nodded. It was barely a whole nod, she didn't have  any strength left.

"I can't just leave you like this," I said.

"Shoot me," she whispered.

"What?" I replied bewildered. I hadn't even thought of that. Thoughts of Dorothy ran through my head. It's what needed to be done, so why did it feel so wrong?

"DO it," she screeched.

"I want to thank you, for everything you've done for me," I cried and bit my lip. I held up the shotgun and aimed it at her head. She smiled sadly and closed her eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled the trigger. The sound echoed in the silence and I made a run for it. I followed her instructions. Once I reached the parking lot there were only a few cars left. I ran over to the nearest truck and opened up the hood. I began searching around. She hadn't told me where exactly in the hood!

I whirled around and noticed figures headed in this direction. There were more zombies! My eyes widened and I began searching even more frantically. I felt the sides of the car battery and then I felt something. I pulled on it and sure enough I pulled out the key with a strip of type attached to it. I ran to the drivers side and quickly opened the car.

I took one last look at the area.

Where was I even supposed to go?

I heard a banging on my window and I turned around frightened. A zombie was banging on the window and more were headed in my direction. I started the car and the zombie began to open its jaws. As I drove away the zombies blood smeared on my window and half of its jaw came off.

I drove away in the direction away from the zombie horde.

Once I felt like I was at a safe distance I stopped the car. I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel and shook my head. I didn't know where to go! She said we were three miles away from the place where they had last seen my group. That didn't really tell me anything!

I opened up the compartments in the car, searching for any clues or anything that would help. I smiled when I found a knife tucked away under the seat and practically cheered when I found a map of Las Vegas.

I found the town square and frowned. It seemed so....normal. To drive around with a map looking for street signs that would tell me where I was. Soon I would be home. I smiled triumphantly and kept the map at my side. I began driving in the direction I believed to be right. There was no way of telling.

I began chewing on my lower lip. And then that's when I saw it.

The helicopter flew overhead and I opened my mouth in shock. Maybe I was hallucinating?

Just as fast as it had come, it flew away. I remembered when I had seen a helicopter the last time. Bad things had followed. Maybe it was a bad omen.

The streets looked ominous. There was no noise except for the car and there were no people. All that were left were a couple of blood smears here and there, some severed limbs, and the occasional overturned car. According the the map, I was getting near. My stomach bubbled with anticipation. Once I got there I'd see my family again, and I'd give them all big hugs. I'd kiss Robert and tell him how much I missed him. I'd tell Sam everything and she'd be there for me. I would talk to Wyatt and uncovered why he protected the pendant so much.

All these thoughts coursed through my head and then I began to recognize the buildings. I smiled but then I noticed that certain things were off.

Where were the guards?

That's when something landed on my windshield.