Chapter 3

Everyone in the morning was grumpy and irritable. No one felt like talking, or being polite. They knew we were moving and that packing and preparations had to be done, fast. More than once I heard Rick curse under his breath as someone shoved him aside. We hadn't slept one bit, and yet I felt perfectly fine. Well except for the fact that my side hurt from being shoved into the side of a counter. I blew the hair out of my face and then turned to Rick with a pout. He laughed and then squeezed my cheeks. In a way Rick had become a brother to me. He seemed to understand what I was going through and he didn't judge or pry. I looked over and caught Wyatt looking at us. (He was the new guy in the group, the obnoxious one) Dorothy's group had been introduced to us earlier and we learned that their names. There was Jen, Alicia, Rodrigo, and Wyatt. I didn't remember all their names though, my brain was half fried when they introduced themselves. Alicia had been the girl that Stephen had been flirting with. His face had gone from moody to instantly happy in a second when he saw her. 

"Is it just me or does cool guy keep looking over here?" I whispered to Rick. "Cool guy" was our new codename for Wyatt. It fit him. 

"Nope, he keeps looking over here and I doubt it's for me. I mean, I haven't shaved in forever." Rick replied dramatically. I stilfled a laugh and then punched him lightly. 

"Shut up." I giggled.

"Just being honest, he can't keep his eyes off you." Rick added with a hint of amusement in his voice. This earned him yet another punch which caused him to double over with laughter. 

"Not funny." I whispered harshly and then soon joined in. Everyone was too busy working and they didn't notice us laughing, well except for Sam who was laughing with us. I already knew she had heard everything and that she found this just as hilarious. I was watching her and I saw her lips moving. Rick's head snapped up and then his mouth widened even more and he tried to hold in more laughter.

"What are you guys saying?!?" I cried. 

"Oh. nothing interesting miss." Rick said and tried to do an accent, he failed horribly. 

Sometimes I hated their super enhanced powers. 

Usually I would have been grateful for whatever breeze we could get, but this breeze was just a bunch of hot air being blown at us. I clung on to Robert as he drove in front of the group on his motorcycle. My brothers had mentioned leaving the bike, since it made so much noise. He said it drew too much attention. But Robert had looked sad and agreed to it, but only once we made it safely to Vegas. Maneuvering through the rode was hard and we kept having to stop to move some cars that were in the way. Some were flipped over, some were just in the middle of the road, abandoned. We had encountered 3 zombies so far and dealt with them. 

"Crap." Robert muttered and then pulled the bike over. I climbed off slowly and looked around. There was a giant trailer flipped over on the side, blocking the way. There was blood under the wheels, as if the person had driven over a whole army of walkers. I covered my mouth with my sleeve and coughed. There were rotting bodies everywhere and the smell stung my eyes. The sound of the flies was almost unbearable and sickened me. I didn't even knew there could be that much flies in one place at once. I turned around to look at the cars as they pulled over and everyone's face was a mask of disgust and terror. I felt back for Rick and Sam, the smell must be way worse for them. They rolled up in the windows from the car they were in and I noticed Rick covering his face with a shirt. Sam was doing the same, except she was sniffing her hair. Typical Sam. 

"How are we going to get through this?" I finally choked out and doubled over with a coughing fit. The smell was beginning to make my eyes water.