Chapter 6

We never got to pull the prank on Oscar. Sam and Rick heard it first, the noisy sound of a helicopter. I looked up, astonished. The helicopter flew by fast and its light swept across the freeway. It shone on us brightly for a second and then sped off towards Vegas. Suddenly, I felt hope swell up in my chest. The helicopter was a plain sign that there was still life left in Vegas. Maybe we weren't going to a city full of dead people, but a city filled with salvation. Hope. Hope was all we had to cling onto now. The thing that kept us moving, the thing that kept up alive. 

We heard the groan of metal and then Oscar climbed out of the tank.

"You guys heard that right?" he asked and then shook his head. His eyes were closing with sleepiness. 

"We heard and saw it," Sam breathed and then let out a triumphant laugh. "we're not alone."

Stephen crawled out of a tent that had been set up by one of the cars and Alicia followed. I help in my chuckle as he walked over to us and buttoned his shirt hastily. There was no hiding the fact that these two had a deep connection. He walked up uncomfortably and then smiled at us and nodded.

"So, what are we doing about what just happened?" he asked and then cleared his throat.

"Well, we have to let people rest first. Continue with the original plan and get to the city tomorrow morning." 

He nodded and then walked back to where Alicia was standing waiting for him. I couldn't help but feel happy for him. It was about time that he got what he deserved, happiness and love. It changed a person. I rubbed my hands together trying to gain warmth and then looked over at Sam and Rick who had walked off a bit. Sam had her head on his shoulder and they were both looking up at the sky. I didn't want to interrupt them so I walked back towards to where Robert was. I noticed someone had crawled into my sleeping bag and walked over quickly full of curiosity. I peered in and even in the dark I could make out Andy's features. I smiled to myself. Andy seemed to idolize Robert now more than ever. They got along way better than they used to. It seemed that Robert had replaced me. I frowned and then walked away. What the hell do I do with myself? 

I let out a sigh and decided to just walk the perimeter like I had originally planned. I heard a twig snap from behind me and swiftly turned around ready for my attacker. 

"Hey, it's just me! Calm down please," Joe laughed uneasily. I cocked my head to the side and then relaxed my stance.

"I don't people sneaking up on me," I said stiffly.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I just, I needed someone to talk to, that's all."

I mentally wanted to punch myself. Joe of course would come to me to tell his darkest secrets. I didn't want to have to live with guilt over Sam's decision. This wasn't even part of my life. But I knew that once Joe began to tell me how he felt, he wouldn't stop. He wouldn't stop and then I would be stuck feeling sorry for him because he had gotten his heart broken.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked him and then mentally braced myself for his heartbroken speech. Instead  I was shocked by his next choice of words.

"I want to leave the group once we reach Vegas."

"What?" I asked. "You can't leave! We need you" I cried. "Dianne needs you I added thoughtfully. I thought back to the nightmare that had woken me up and flinched. We needed Joe, his experience, as little as we had was what kept us healthy. If he left now and something were to go wrong with Dianne and the pregnancy, we'd have absolutely no idea what to do. Joe looked uncomfortable and then kicked the floor slightly.

"I just feel like I'm such a bother here. I don't want to get in the way of Sam's new found happiness." he mumbled. I wanted to punch him.

"You're not getting in the way of anything. I mean yeah, it's going to hurt. But you need to move on. Life moves on, I hate to say it but you can clearly see that. Don't let what happened with Sam stop you from living your life. We need you here." I breathed.