Chapter Twenty One: Just When Things Were Looking Up

21.

(Luna's POV)

The rest of the school day went by pretty much in a blur. Everything was finally starting to look up. Casey was getting physical therapy for recovering from her coma, Dame and I were together, Sydney was no longer a snob, neither of us were zombies. Oh and Sam and Casey had begun hanging out a lot more. At the therapy center, of course. Since that's where she was staying and wasn't aloud to leave. Sam wasn't moved either. That made both Casey and I happy. Casey because you know they're just destined to be together, and me because Sam turned out to be a really decent person.

Well, everything was looking up until I got home. And guess who was sitting on the couch? That's right. The woman who hasn't even bothered to text me during the last five freaking weeks. "What are you doing here?" I spat, stomping up the stairs, not bothering to face her. That would give her ounces of respect that she didn't deserve.

"That's the exact same thing that I asked your little boyfriend and brother." She snapped back. Like it was my fault they were here?! Brandon stayed voluntarily, not wanting to face neither my mother or his. And Caleb.. Well, Caleb just showed up. And Caleb was not, nor will he ever be again, my boyfriend. 

"Caleb's not my boyfriend, mother! And they are here because, well, Caleb was worried about me, unlike you were for the last five weeks, and Brandon didn't want to face neither you or his mother! Nate's here because he lives here and I'm honestly jealous of him that he'll be moving out and away from you next month!" Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh, but she deserved it! I mean, what kind of mother just up and leaves with no warning, not letting their daughter know about half of her life, and stays away for five weeks? She could've been dead or buried alive in a ditch somewhere! Same could've gone for me.

"Oh yeah! Casey's now out of her coma, finally. Not that you care." I added the last part. I heard her gasp a fake gasp. Oh please. I bet Brandon's little sister, Marie, could act better than that if all of the GI Joe's were destroyed and only Barbie dolls were put up. I was resting on my folded arms against the railing of my stairs, which looked over the whole living room, smirking. 

My mother's face crinkled in more confusion than worry. "How?"

"Why should you care? You could've known if you had texted me or something during these five weeks instead of totally shutting me out." I suddenly knew exactly how Dame felt. Except.. I knew what was going on with my mom and was angry that she was keeping it all from me. Dame didn't have a clue of anything. Okay, shutting out... Not the best idea in the world. 

"I'm.. I'm sorry, Luna." My mother stuttered. I scrunched my nose in disgust.

"No you're not. Brandon told me everything." Speaking of Brandon... Where was he? Or Caleb.. Or Nate? "Where is everyone?" My voice was covered in concern. Quickly, I checked the rooms around the house. Then, finally, I looked in Nate's closet and found the three boys tied up. "Oh my God!" I gasped. I locked Nate's door, then went to untie them. The ropes were cutting into their wrists and ankles.

"Sorry." I muttered as I ripped the duct tape off of each of their mouths. "What happened?"

They all breathed in air as if it was their first breath. Nate was the first to speak, "Mom's gone crazy, Luna. Something happened to her while she was away."

My eyes widened as I pulled out my phone and called the one person who I knew I could depend on right now: Dame.

***

(Dame's POV)

"This is amazing." I said to my mother, who had just baked a delicious mini chocolate cakes with chocolate icing and blue-and-green icing swirled in the center. They were three of the mini-choco-cakes and they were each little squares, thick and rich. My fork scooped up a corner of the cake without hesitation and forced it into my mouth.