Chapter Two

Dedication to LetMalikYuHarry for promoting my story, thank you. 

Chapter Two

                The next morning, Father and Alastair came into Ava's room earlier than the normal wake up call. She rolled over in bed but she was close to the edge causing her to almost fall out and onto the floor. Alistair caught her and pushed his sleepy sister farther into bed.

“What’s up, the sun hasn’t even came up yet.” Ava mumbled, rubbing the dust from her eyes. The tabby slept peacefully at the bottom of her nosy bed.

“We’re heading down to the field, with winter approaching we need to get harvesting so your mother has something to sell at the market and we have enough in storage. You don’t need to come down yet, Ava if you don’t want to, you can get a few more hours of sleep.” Ava nodded at that option and tried to agree with it but fell asleep on herself. Her father chuckled at his daughter, closing the door behind him. When Mother found out it was only two of them in the house together, she jumped at the chance to make Ava miserable. Later when Ava woke up, her mother handed her a long list of chores.

“If this isn’t done by the time I get home from the market tonight, I will kill your cat. I will send a notice to your father that you won’t be going to the field today.” Mother stated bitterly, packing the basket she'll take to the market with her today. 

"But Mother I have to go, I promised them I'll be down when I wake up!" Once Ava said it she realized that Mother didn't care, that she would stay here and finish the chores.  When the door shut after her mother she began the first chore.

        When Father and Alistair returned later that night, they came into Ava’s room, they went to the market after Mother had left and they finished their work and bought her some of Ava's favourite chocolates. 

"How are you feeling, Sis?" Alistair asked, he sat on the edge of her bed and started to run his fingers through the pieces of blonde hair he could reach, detangling it. His sister's hair has always been silky to the touch, just like his own. Ava moved horizontally, putting her head in his lap. Alistair rarely plays with her hair anymore so when he does she likes to cherish the moment. Mother stood in the doorway and watched with a smug grin as Ava was about to lie to their faces.

"I'm feeling okay now I guess... I just needed some extra rest, I was a little dizzy." Ava felt sick to my stomach lying to the two people who would do anything for her.

"Your cousin Carolyn said that you just needed the rest, she didn't say anything about being dizzy. Are you okay? Gosh, I wish you tried to tell me, I would've came home early." Father told her. She felt a slight panic in her for a half a second before she came up with another lie. Ava noticed her mother was smiling, Ava felt sick just knowing that the woman that was supposed to love her, worry about her, was happy about this moment. Ava wished her mother cared for her, just like any nineteen year old would.

"I got dizzy after Mother left so I didn't have a way of getting it to you. I wouldn't let you come home early anyway, Daddy, we don't have a lot of days left to get the harvest in and we need as many crops as we can get. I'm fine now, thanks for the chocolate." 

        Her father kissed her forehead and mumbled something about doing anything for her. He said I love you and then went to bed after the long day that they had. Alistair stayed with her for a few hours extra, catching up. They've been so busy with the farm that Ava and Alistair didn't get to have brother and sister alone time recently. Ava wished that she could tell her brother about how she lied just then, she wasn't sick today, Mother was mean to her and made her stay home to clean to house.

        That night was the first time in years that she slept in her brother room; Ava needed the comfort of someone she loved.