Seven

"Wow, easy there peanut." He wheezes out. Tears pour from my eyes as I clutch onto my father's fading figure like I was a young child again. "Hey, no crying. I'm here."

"But you were almost gone!" I accuse with a hiccup. I wipe my wet cheeks with the back of my hands as dad frowns deeply. "Why weren't you careful?" 

"I was." He defence himself. "There was a pothole in the road. I didn't notice it until it was too late. I swerved and lost control, that's all I can remember." 

I try to steady my breathing, thanking Jason as he hands me a glass of water. 

"My bike is gone, huh?" 

I narrow my eyes. "You're really caring more about that piece of metal than your own life right now?" I never intended to sound bitter. "You almost died, dad. You were the one almost gone!" 

"Hey." Jason murmurs softly in my ear whilst placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. 

I breathe a heavy sigh, tears springing to my eyes again. "I'm sorry. I- we almost lost you, daddy."

"Fran." Dad says tenderly. "Hey now, come here." I shuffle forwards, sniffing.

 I could see his exhaustion, the dark purple circles beneath his eyes, the yellow tinge to his cheek and neck. He was struggling to keep his eyes open. I slip my hand into his, the image being one I held so close to my heart and that brought back so many childhood memories. 

"I don't know what I would've done if I lost you, daddy." I whisper, grasping his fingers as he squeezed. His eyes moved beneath his closed lids in a strong attempt to open them. I push back his outgrown hair, smiling slightly at the strands of grey that were poking through. 

"They said it'll take a few days for him to fully gain consciousness again." Flo murmurs softly. "Once he's weened of the medication, they can begin to see the progress of the surgery and begin rehab."

"So they still don't know if there is any permanent damage?" 

"Not yet." She sighs disappointedly. "But let's just take one thing at a time, yeah? He's surprised them so that must be a good thing."

I stroke over his battered knuckles and sniffle, the reoccurring thought of losing him causing the heaviest weight to land on my chest. Jason's caring hand grazes my shoulder, his thumb lightly brushing the nape of my neck in support. 

"I'm just going to nip out and ring Matthew, let him know what's going on and that we'll reschedule tomorrow's meeting."

I turn to him and shake my head. "No. Go to the meeting, you can't miss anymore."

He opens his mouth to protest. "I want to be here for you."

"You've been here enough." I smile gently. Curving my hand around his jaw and stroking my thumb across the stumble that tickled his cheek. "You need to go back to work, I've kept you off long enough."

He frowns slightly. "I still think it's too soon to leave you."

"What have you done to that man, Frankie?" Paul jokes with a smirk. "If I was him, I'd be making a body shaped hole in that wall after sticking you for a week."

I poke my tongue out and Jason laughs. "She's cute, what can I say?" 

"Im sure I can think of something."

"Keep your opinions to yourself, thank you." I shot with narrowed eyes. He lifts his polystyrene cup in the air and chuckles beneath his breath. "You should go and get some rest." 

"Looking rid of me?" 

I swat his chest gently and laugh. "No, but I think you owe it to those bags under your eyes."

"You caused them."

"Too much info guys." Paul announces, covering Flo's ears. "Not while her sister is here bro, keep your bedroom antics to yourselves."

Flo bat's his hands away with a giggle and nudges her elbow into his side. "Don't listen to him. But I agree with my sister, Jason. You've been incredible these past few days, but you need sleep just like the rest of us."

He nods and glances back down to me. "Are you sure it's okay?" 

Letting out a small laugh, I lean up on my tiptoes and tenderly press my lips to his. "Go. I'll call if I need you."

"I love you." He mutters quietly. "Call me, for anything. Got it?" 

"Yes boss." I smirk. A outstretched grin spreads across his tired lips as he kisses me once more before bidding a goodbye to Flo and Paul. 

I pull over the uncomfortable plastic chair and nessle down beside dad's beside, my hand still clutching his like a needy child. 

"So," Flo hums. "Still haven't told him, huh?" 

I sigh. "Flo.."

"He has a right to know, Frankie." 

Paul glances between us, his eyebrows knitted in confusion. "What are you guys talking about? Tell who about what?" 

"It's nothing." 

Flo lowers her eyes in an unimpressed scowl. "I very highly doubt not telling your current boyfriend that his new business partner is your ex-boyfriend who almost ruined you."

"What?" Paul exclaims, almost lunging from his chair. "Please--please tell me you are fucking kidding me, Frankie."

Hearing Paul's voice shake with anger made my body coil in fear and shame. I duck my head, my palms starting to pool with nervous sweat. 

"Are you fucking serious, right now!" He roars, bouncing to his feet and crushing the water cup within his palm. "Yates is working with Jason?" 

I nod timidly. "He's his new business partner. They're opening up the restaurant together."

He pulls at his hair in frustration, pacing the length of the cold hospital room. His tongue poked the inside of his cheek whilst he shakes his head. My stomach churn, my lungs feeling like they were about to collapse. 

"Does he know?" He asks angrily. "Matthew. Does he remember you?" 

"Of course he does." I mutter quietly, tugging the cuffs of the thick wooly jumper over my badly bitten hands. "But he is acting like he doesn't."

"And you haven't told Jason?" 

I shake my head slowly. 

Pinching the bridge of his nose and clenching his eyes tightly, Paul jaw tightens in anger. I felt sick. Eyeing Flo for a helping hand in the situation, she lowers her gaze. 

"Jason doesn't need to know." I say. 

"Of course he fucking does!" Paul shrieks. "He's your boyfriend and he has a right to know that the lowlife scumbag he's working with caused you so much pain in your past."

"And ruin his chances with the business?" I scoff, shaking my head. "No Paul, I won't be responsible for Jason giving up something he has dreamed about for the longest time. Matthew keeps his distance, I keep mine."

"Do you seriously think that if he knew what that bastard done, he would go ahead with any form of business that involves him?" He growls. "If he is the man I think he is, he would do exactly what I did to Matthew all those years ago."

I gulp as the rush of cold fills my veins.

"Paul.."

"No Frankie." He snaps. His daggers were enough to send my stomach curling in horror. "You need to tell him. If you don't, I will."

━━━━━☆☆━━━━━
I hope you all had a lovely Christmas💕
Just a little question for you guys - would anyone be interested if I wrote another story? I have a specific one in mind, pushing my boundaries to write a more grafic one..

Please leave a comment and vote! Xoxo