[6] Realization

Spring came fairly early much to your happiness. The snow melted away by early January and currently, it is February 8, 5739. You and Senku had gotten more physically comfortable with each other. You felt more of a gravitational force that just pulled you closer to him, you were very comfortable around him. Even more than before when you would work alongside him and internally crush on him at the science club in school. Maybe it was the whole, living in the wilderness, trying to survive, and a touch of trying to revive humanity that had strengthened your emotions.

"When do you think Taiju will wake up?"

"That big oaf? I'd say a week to maybe 2 months. I'm 10 billion percent sure he kept his mind active thinking about Yuzuriha for the past few millennia. I found her statue in the same tree from the school courtyard not too far off from here. Carved some instructions on the tree for when he wakes up."

"Now that you mention I never asked. How did you keep your mind active the entire time Senku?"

"I counted."

You sighed, "That doesn't even surprise me at this point."

"And you?" Senku quirked his eyebrow up since he knew you were good with numbers, but not good with numbers.

"Well, you know how I am with numbers and remembering things. I happened to be the average stupid human at that point and pull out their phone when they see something that they should be scared of. But thanks to that I saw the time as I was trying to get the camera to take a picture. When I got petrified I just started singing a Lillian Weinberg song and since I knew the exact length of time the song was, I compared it to the time when I last looked at my phone. I might've been a few minutes off, but I still got a rough estimate of the season and what time it is." You spoke as you rubbed your neck with embarrassment.

"That's one way to do it," Senku added.

"I'm going to collect some flowers so I can redo the bead curtain and I'll scavenge for some mushrooms while I'm at it."

"Okay, I'm going to hunt for some fish and when I come back I'll be in the lab."

You grabbed your bag and a small basket for the journey and headed off. Senku watched as you ran through the treetops in the opposite direction of him. Wow, she's strong.

He started to think about your legs and how they've built a good amount of muscle from the physical labor of the stone world. What am I doing standing here thinking about her body? I need to get to work.

Senku fought off his blush as he grabbed a spear, a makeshift net, and another basket. Senku then made his way towards a nearby river.

While Senku was fishing you were happily running through the treetops like a ninja. After about 5 minutes of running, you sat on a sturdy branch to take a breather. "All that running tires me out." You spoke to yourself.

As you stood up and took a look at your surroundings, you heard a weird animal noise. At first, you just brushed it off assuming it was just the wildlife around you. The animal made the noise once more and this time it was closer to you. "What is that animal?" You questioned. Listening closely again it sounded more of a bird call, "What species of bird is it? It doesn't sound familiar."

Soon after you heard another bird call, a bright multicolored bird landed on the branch just next to you. You stared at the bird in awe, it had bright red feathers that are tinted yellow and blue at the ends and a white hooked bill. The bird turns its head more to look at you, you and the bird were studying each other. Judging by the bright colors and hooked bill it seems to be some kind of parrot. Or maybe it's a bird that's evolved drastically over the years.

You picked a berry from the tree that you were on and held it towards the bird. The bird studied the berries for a minute and then ate them. You grabbed some more berries and the bird got more comfortable around you. Eventually, the bird perched itself on your shoulder. Did I just domesticate this bird? Too soon to tell, but...hopefully, I got myself a little buddy. Maybe I can learn the language of the birds. I can't wait to tell Senku!

While you were becoming friends with the local wildlife Senku was killing them. He wiped his forehead as he speared another fish. Not having much strength or stamina in his scrawny body Senku got tired fairly quickly, but the thought of you working hard made him want to work harder.

Senku somehow ended up sitting on some rocks by the side of the river snacking on some wild berries thinking about you. He thought about your kindness, your intellect, your smile, and if he was being truthful... your body too; It all made him blush. Why am I thinking about her so much? I need to focus on reviving humanity.

Senku looked down into the river staring at his reflection. He saw that his face was red, and he put his hand over his heart and felt the rapid pace that it was going. The tingly feeling in his stomach wasn't helping much either. I better not be developing heart palpitations or something...

Senku couldn't figure it out but he caught enough fish so he decided to head back to the lab and just keep his mind busy.

He left the fish to smoke to kill any harmful bacteria and began to experiment around in the lab. Half an hour into experimenting Senku couldn't even concentrate on what he was doing. His thoughts were in another place, well, more like on another person. Is this what they call a crush? It's so distracting and infuriating but at the same time, it's a good feeling.

Senku made his way back to the kitchen room where he left the fish smoking. He grabbed some of the plants and herbs stored there to make the fish taste a bit better. Ten minutes later you arrived back at the treehouse with an evident smile on your face. Senku unconsciously smiled seeing you look so happy. He noticed that you didn't bring back any flowers or mushrooms as you had mentioned earlier, but you did have a bag filled to the brim with berries and seeds.

"What happened to the mushrooms and flowers?" he asked.

"I honestly forgot about them.." You shyly rubbed the back of your neck and smiled awkwardly, "But! I found something better!"

"Better than survival food?" Senku teased.

"Almost! Just check this out!" You whistled out loudly. Nothing happened for a solid minute.

"Am I supposed to be impressed with your whistle?"

"It's about to happen." You stated.

"What's about to happen?" Senku asked a bit worriedly. Right on cue a loud bird cry was heard from the distance and getting closer and closer. Senku got a bit nervous hearing the loud animal cries. The same bird you had met earlier flew in through the window in the kitchen and you extended your arm out for it to land on.

You had a smug look on your face for a second, "Look! I made friends with this bird!"

Senku shook off his initial shock and regained his composure, "It looks like some kind of parrot. Maybe some managed to escape pet stores and crossbred between some bird species here and this is the result. The exotic pet trade is also a thing it could've come from."

"Do you think it can teach me the language of the birds?"

Senku only sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose...I'm 10 billion percent sure that I just fell in love with this idiot.