Epilogue

Six years later

'Jingle bells, jingle bells,' chimed. Yawning Sparky the fifth pulled his hat down over its head in its favourite chair.

"Shall I get it?" Zafeer asked, handing over a bauble to Mary, who was dressed in a summery little red dress. With Santas, dangling from her ears, his ruby, emerald, and diamond necklace, around her neck. A new tradition. On Christmas Eve night, Zafeer gave her a new present to be unwrapped, every year, before the end of the day. Her jewellery collection has grown since their wedding day six years ago a fortnight before Christmas Eve. Not that it was jewellery every time, could just be something just as simple as silk scarf or a charm for her charm bracelet that she had started on their honeymoon, adding pieces from their travels.

"No, just wait. If it's rings again, it's the children. We used to see how far we could go before we were chased away by dad." She smiled at the memories. Yes, it still hurt, but so much nicer to share. Taking the bauble, she leaned in for a kiss that lingered and deepened as he stepped closer, where he lifted her off the stepladder, standing within his arms. Her arms snaked around his neck, the bauble dangling from her fingers. "And this is why only half the decorations get done."

"But we are getting better at it," he noted smugly.

"Only ever since the children had arrived," she laughed kissing him again.

"The following year, and everyone after that." He ran a hand over her flat tummy this time. "When do we start cooking?" He asked against her softened lips that were made perfectly for him to be enjoyed.

"Tomorrow as you know."

'Dashing through the snow' chimed.

"Yes, the children," he sighed; reluctantly he eased out of her hold and went to the door, throwing open. Shrieks of laughter and two children went flying off in different directions. "Stay close," he ordered, stepping out onto the entrance, crossing his arms, absorbing the morning sun. So different from his first visit. He could feel the heat in the sun and it was only early morning. He smiled at the sight before him. "Mary come and see this," he called behind him.

Placing the bauble on the tree, she walked away to investigate what her husband wanted, joining him on the entrance patio, looping an arm through his, watching his mother walk up the driveway with their youngest on her hip, a redheaded little girl looking like a red and green elf with her adorable pixie hat. His father always stayed behind watching over the country.

Zafeer shook his head. "I am so glad I do not let you dress me."

Laughing, she leaned her head against his shoulder. "I don't know. I would love to see you as a snowman." A dark brow arched. "Okay, okay, reindeer. I do have the ears. Anyway you prefer when I undress you," she purred in his ear. He gave her a warning look to behave.

"I know that," he noted dryly. "And the hats. The earrings and the songs. The forever songs," he laughed. Quite often he had caught himself bursting out into song.

"Come on, you're my helper," she pulled at him to be pulled back into his arms and looked up. She did as he pointed up. "I don't remember doing that."

"I did my very first chore every year."

"Oh," she mouthed, and then grinned, throwing her arm around his neck and kissed him under the hanging mistletoe, one leg popped. Children's laughter rippled around them as little arms wrap around their legs. Breaking free they gather up a child each, one boy and one girl, while they waited for Zafeer's mother to join them with their youngest and together they entered as a family. Her new family. She would never forget her own family.

Every Christmas eve they had their special Christmas dinner. The children put to bed, where she finally laid in her husband's arms on the sofa. Sparkles curled up beside them, as they saw the night out. The same night the police had arrived to tell her that her family wouldn't be arriving to celebrate Christmas. Killed in a freak accident.

Zafeer had taken away her pain and loneliness and as promised, she would never be alone again. He never left her side, not even for a full day. Every morning he woke her with kisses and love before he went to see palace business and every night she was taken into his arms and loved to fall asleep in his arms.

Christmas day, people arrived to see the special house and were given their gifts of cooked cookies to be taken home. After the last one was given Zafeer's mother took her grandchildren home, while Zafeer and Mary packed up, placing all the boxes in the garage that now had proper shelves for storage, until the following year. As Zafeer had pointed out, they really didn't celebrate Christmas in his country, so he was happy to travel here every year with her.

Once done, they stood in the door entrance, looking around, Mary feel warmth as if they were beside her. "You would have loved him," she whispered. "He's my Christmas miracle." A softness rubbed against her, bending down to scoop up Sparky the fifth and smiled as a familiar arm went around her shoulder, smiling up at her husband and rested against his chest as he turned her away.

"Time to go home, habibti."

"Yes," she smiled, closing her eyes as his lips pressed to her forehead. Time to go home to her new family and home.

Every year they came back to celebrate Christmas in memory of her family.

They would never be forgotten.

A sigh of happiness fell upon the cabin

Until next year, filled with love and joy.

Laughter and fun.

While they were away, the cabin was rented out, or lent to families in need, yet had to be vacant for Christmas. All the rooms had been upgraded with a lick of paint and new wardrobes, beds and what else needed replacing. Also the main living room, even the kitchen had the newest equipment.

The door closed behind them as they headed towards the waiting helicopter. Finally, she was truly free of her past. She looked down as the helicopter raised, nose pressed against the glass as were her fingers, blinking as a blinding light  that caught her eyes from the roof of the cabin.

"Zafeer look." He leaned across to smile.

"The light that led me to you." The sun reflecting on a roof tile her father had replaced with a handmade glass one.

"But how? It had been snowing and there had been no sunlight."

"Some things are not meant to be questioned, habibti. It had brought you to me or is that me to you?"

She turned towards him to be gathered against his side, snuggling in. "I don't care. You were my Christmas miracle that I give thanks for, every day of my life."

"As I do you, beloved." He brought down his dark head and sealed it with a kiss.

Their future bright.

The miracle of Christmas.

THE END