Chapter Five

Three days before Christmas

Phone plugged in; signal on, so it didn't matter, Zafeer was ready for the day with what Mary had planned. He finally realised she had a scheduled. Something he did understand and he had interrupted, without any complaints from her.

Heading towards the kitchen ready to offer his serves, having no idea how he could help. He could pack away the treats. Clean up. The palace would faint and was never heard of that was done by palace staff.

Stopping in the main room, he became aware of the music. It was different, although still Christmas music it had a different tone, changing to another song, same singer. Michael Buble. Her music. There was no doubt. Smiling. He could deal with this. Had more sexy undertones. He entered the kitchen, surprised by the fact she wasn't here. What the hell? Where was she? He headed out and raced upstairs, checking all the rooms. Nothing, heart pounding, racing downstairs. Also, no Sparky and its annoying tinkling.

He rushed outside only to skid to a stop as he spotted her walking up the driveway, Sparky raced around her, hat free, her thick luscious red hair surrounded her angelic face like a halo. Seeing him, she broke out into a dazzling smile, waving that was brighter than an Arabian sun, sending heat through his body, heart tap dancing of joy, something he had never experienced before. He looked up at the still low cloud cover that didn't depress him.

Opening his arms, as she raced up the stairs, and straight into them, hugging each other. "What are you doing?"

"Taking your advice. Fresh air." Sparky rubbed against their feet and tail curling around ankles as it weaved between them.

His hands caressed over her jacketed back. "You should have asked me."

"You were still sleeping."

His brow arched. "You checked?" He asked, surprised and also warmed all over.

She smiled up at him, eyes sparkling. "I did." They had a long night, sharing the sofa, lights dancing, fire crackling, just talking. A nice change from his usual hectic schedule. Even when he did get time away, he was usually busy, skiing, high action sports, or parties, just never really relaxed. He felt relaxed, holding her tightly in his arms. She made him feel that way.

Swaying her as he viewed the beautiful surrounding forest of snow dusted trees. The snow had eased off. The cold? What cold, she was his personal heater, her head tucked under his chin that he rubbed against her hair, breathing in the fragrance of milk and honey.

Homespun and sweet. It was a wonderful feeling also strange. His hold tightened, not wanting to leg go, having a feeling he had found something special, but had to think of her and what she was doing. Whatever it was? It was like she was on a mission. What? He had no idea. Whatever it was more than family, deeper.

"So what are we doing today?" He asked, disturbing the serene moment. She eased back and looked up, searching, already missing her warmth, body aching.

"How about a cooking lesson?" His eyes widened. The last thing he had expected.

"Cooking lessons?" His brows went done. "Do I need them?"

"Yes you do and we are building a house," she explained with merriment.

His eyes popped this time. "A house? What's that got to do with cooking?"

"You will see." Taking his hand, Mary led him inside to stop as he held back, looking back at him. He looked up.

"Tradition."

She stepped closer. "You don't have to use that if you want to kiss me."

"Any time I want?" He dared. She closed the distance between them; rising on her toes, tilting her face towards his as he came down to meet her, her arms going around his neck, not holding back. He could get used to this. However, it was cold out here, edging them back inside, the door closing, still locked together, and kissing by the Christmas tree.