Chapter 25

Going to bed was the hardest part. After I sleep, I'll only have one day left until the assassination and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I thought Cyan was soundly asleep, but when I sat up, he sat up right next to me. "What's the matter? Can't sleep?" He asked and I let out a sigh. "Yeah, I can't... I don't know how you ninjas can do this kind of stuff and still sleep." I threw my arms in the air and looked down.

Cyan scooted closer to me and wrapped his arms around me. He pulled me in closer and I rested my head on his chest as he laid a hand on the back of my head. "I'm so worried...." I said as I looked up at Cyan. "About the assassination?" He asked and I nodded. "And everyone," I added as I wrapped my arms around him in return. "We'll be fine, besides I'm fighting for you and our baby." He leaned down to kiss me, "I'm just scared that... That many lives will be lost..." I whispered as I looked up at his orange eyes.

He looked back at me, "Are you just worried about me?" He asked and I nodded slowly. "Just promise me that nothing won't happen to you," I said and he shook his head. "I can't promise anything that I'm not sure of, Nissa look I g-" I cut him off, "Just promise me!" I raised my voice and he stayed quiet as his eyes looked down. "I... I promise," he whispered and I kissed him on the lips.

*  *  *

"Today is the day," Yane announced as he took out his sword. Everyone sat around the house, sharpening their weapons. About 10 more people came in and they were all Yane's ninjas. "What happened to the others?" Yane asked one of them. "They're on their way. They should be arriving here by nightfall," they replied and Yane nodded.

I sat next to Cyan as he sharpened my dagger for me. "You ready?" He asked me and I nodded. I felt the inside of my stomach twisting and turning. I wanted to throw up, but only because I was so nervous. What if things go wrong? What if everything fails? I don't want to be killed...

"You look more nervous than you did before," Cyan said as he looked up at me. "I'll be fine," I said back and he nodded slowly as he looked back down at the dagger. I got up and walked around, examining the others. "Nissa!" A voice called and I turned around to see a man. "Frid?" I asked and he nodded as he hugged me. "I can't believe you remember me!" He said excitedly as he pulled away.

Frid and I met when I was a little girl. We always played by the river, but he ended up moving away to the Sugar Crystal district when he began getting older. "How's you and your family?" I asked him and he shrugged his shoulders. "Good I guess, I haven't really talked to them that much. I've spent most of my time on missions for Yane, but I suppose they're doing fine without me." I nodded as I patted his shoulder.

"Still, I can't believe you remember me! It's been at least, what, 15 years...?" He said and I nodded. "At least about 15, but I never thought I would see you," I smiled and he gave me another hug. "I've missed you so much," he said and I nodded. "I missed you too," I said back and he smiled.

"Nissa, can we have some more tea?" Another man asked and I nodded as I went into the kitchen. I boiled some more water and poured the tea poweder into the pot and stirred it around. Cyan came up to me, holding the dagger in its scabbard and he handed it to me. "Thank you very much," I said as I took it from him and clipped it to my belt. He nodded, "Who was that man?" He asked.

"An old friend," I grabbed the pot and walked to the others and poured tea into their empty cups. "Thank you Princess," one said and I smiled. "You're very welcome," I poured more tea in other people's cups and they thanked me and I walked back to the kitchen where Cyan still stood. "You seem to have a lot of old friends," he said and I shrugged my shoulders as I placed the pot down on the stove.

I turned to him and sighed, "This was 15 years ago... When I was a little girl, we used to play by the river a lot." I leaned against the counter and looked up at him. "How come you never mentioned him?" He asked. "He was never really on my mind. He was just a memory I stashed away in the back of my head. I honestly thought I would never see him again when he moved, but I guess things really do change." I smiled to myself as I had some flashbacks of when Frid and I played together.

Cyan simply nodded and walked out of the kitchen to help the others. I stood there clueless, I had nothing to do to help. I didn't want to interfere with others, maybe I would mess them up or get in the way. Yane walked in the kitchen and smiled as he saw me. "How's the child doing?" He asked as he pointed to my stomach. "The child is fine. How is everything going?" I asked and Yane shrugged his shoulders. "Everyone is doing their job, so I guess everything is going smooth." I nodded as I turned around and grabbed the pot.

I poured myself a cup of tea and stood their sipping in silence as Yane got lost in his train of thought. "You must be nervous," he said and I nodded. "I don't know what else to feel... I mean, I'm very confident in what's going to happen, but at the same time I'm just nervous. I have an overflow of doubt in my mind and I'm just trying to abide with it, but it's slowly killing me." I sighed and he patted my shoulder. "Everything will go well, I'll make sure of it," he said and I let out a sigh.

I looked up at him and took another sip of my tea. "Are you fighting too?" I asked him. "Yes, of course I am. I may be old, but I'm using the last of my years to help you become who you are supposed to be," he answered as his eyes filled with confidence. "You're not old Yane," I said as I rolled my eyes. "In fact, you're a lot younger than a lot of people around here. Once we're done with this, I'm getting you a woman," I said and he laughed. "No woman would want a bitter man like me," he smiled, "But, thank you for being very thoughtful."

I smiled back and I gulped down the rest of my tea. "You stupid idiot!" A voice shouted and me and Yane both ran out of the kitchen. Frid and Cyan stood facing each other and Cyan was clutching Frid's shirt. "Cyan!" I yelled as I ran to him. "Break it up you two!" Yane yelled and I placed my hand on Cyan's arm and he let go of Frid's shirt.

I turned to Frid and I bowed my head. "I apologize," I said and Cyan turned me to face him. "Don't apologize to that son of a-" I placed a hand on the side of his face. "Enough," I took his hand and I led him outside of the house. "Cyan, control your temper," I said and he looked away. "He started it all," he frowned and I kept myself from smiling. He looked cute, but I had to stay serious. "Honey, you're acting like a little child. Just relax. We have a mission tonight and if you can't even learn to accept who you're fighting with, this would be a pointless mission."

He turned to me with a bright smile on his face. "W-What?" I asked him. "You called me honey." He kissed me on the lips and I pulled back. "Whoa, hold on. Were you even listening to what I was saying?"

"I was. But, I was a little more interested in what you called me," he grinned and I flicked him on the head.

I turn my head and I saw a familiar figure perched on a roof. I gasped quietly as I stared at them. I knew exactly who that was. "Nissa?" Cyan called to me, but I kept my eyes on that figure. "Do... Do you see that man?" I asked and I heard Cyan turn to follow my gaze. "Yeah, want me to go get him?" He asked and I shook my head.

"He's fine for now. But, I still have a lot to talk to him about."