Chapter 3: Hi, I'm Sock

[Alright, here's chapter three. It took a little longer than I would have liked to get it out, but the holidays were crazy. Hey, I just thought about that weird little crab walk that Sock does when he walks up to Jonathan at the bus stop. lol]

It was overcast and cool. Traffic rushed quietly by in the distance. The morning fog stuck to his ghostly form; well, technically he was a demon, but up here on Earth, he was in a sort of purgatory. Jonathan stood outside of his house. He was at the bus stop at the end of a cul-de-sac, in the middle of the road of all places. Sock wondered if he actually wanted to die, as that would possibly make this less complicated for both of them.

Sock knew where he lived, he knew he was an only child who lived with his mom, he knew that he had no friends outside of acquaintances at school. He wouldn't consider those to count as friends.No one else was around, apparently, no other kids or teenagers lived in the same neighborhood. It would be easy for Sock to swoop in and absorb all of his attention. He had devised a plan; he would begin the day with his new counterpart and haunt him until the end of it.

Jonathan looked even worse off than he had in his picture. The kid looked as though he never smiled for anything. His hands bore into his pockets, his black backpack slung around his shoulder. He stared straight ahead, dark rings around his eyes and a permanent scowl. He wore that same gray hoodie, and Sock wondered if he ever changed his clothes, not that he could contend; he had worn the same thing every day since he died.

However, at least he washed his clothes. Sock got close enough to him that he could smell sweat and grease, like the old slice of pizza Jonathan had left to fester underneath his bed. Sock saw it under when he stalked him through his window that morning, cracked open just enough behind the blinds. He considered it to be the most depressing thing about this entire situation. He approached him slowly, awkwardly, as he side-stepped toward him a bit like a crab.

He avoided eye contact with the other young man until he stopped about a yard from him. He slowly turned his head and dared to look at him, then swallowed as he was met with a glare. Already the morning had turned out to be interesting. The bus rolled to a stop in front of them. Sock followed after Jonathan. He phased through the bus doors, as a virescent glow illuminated him.

He looked down for a moment. He was still phased up to his hips into the floor of the bus. He floated toward Jonathan, who stared dully out the bus window into the gray day. The engine thrummed softly under his feet when he finally became opaque again. It would take some practice to become more acquainted with his newfound ability, if one could call it that. Sock tilted his head and stared at Jonathan's purple and black headphones, and the way he slouched in his seat, disconnected from the world around him.

Suddenly Jonathan gave a start, then looked up at him. It wasn't quite as intense of a glare, but he didn't seem particularly happy that he stood there in front of him. Sock smiled in spite of this. He had intended to torment him, after all. This would take a bare minimum of effort on his part. Jonathan grabbed his backpack and moved it off of the seat so that there would be room for Sock to sit next to him. 

He sniffed, then continued to stare out the window with those distant, blue eyes.

Sock thought that this was a kind gesture, although unnecessary, given the fact that the bus was virtually empty except for a few other students.

He smiled as he took a seat next to him.

"Hey, kid," Mephistopheles spoke.

Sock turned, his eyes widened in surprise. Mephistopheles sat cross-legged on the seat in the aisle across from them. He hadn't expected to see him there, and he wondered why he had bothered to come up in the first place when there was so much going on down in Hell, on a school bus no less. He considered that it may be more likely than he expected; he had overheard one of his former classmates refer to their school bus as 'the yellow bus that takes us to Hell every morning.'