03 - games

Thursday rolls around. And I'm extremely nervous.

I haven't felt this giddy or dizzy since I took the SAT's and even that wasn't as bad as this moment. My stomach hurts and I'm overwhelmed with emotions and I know it's because of tonight.

My bed is covered in shirts and jeans and dresses and even a few sweat pants and hoodies.

I have no clue what to wear.

Timothée just wants to hang out with me tonight. It's not a date. At least, I don't think it's a date. But then again I'm not totally sure. And I don't know what to wear to a not date, that's also a possible date.

Be at the park at 6 is what he texted me. He also followed the text up with the words, I'll be next to the parking lot. It was weird seeing his name come up on my phone. I don't even recall how I still have his number saved after all these years but then I realize that when you're a kid and you get your first phone all you want to do is put everybody's number in your contacts so you look cool.

I have my mom's friends in my contacts, and my second cousins who I see like once every year. I have quite a weird bunch of people in my phone but I only really call or text about two of them on a daily basis.

Sam and Noelle.

Literally, only them. And sometimes my dad if I really have to talk to him about something.

After taking way too long choosing an outfit I end up with some grey leggings and a pink long sleeved shirt. It wasn't that chilly outside so I ditched the jacket I had in my closet, plus I wanted to be comfortable considering how uncomfortable I feel right now as my stomach churns with this new feeling of extreme nervousness.

I manage to limp out of the house without my father catching me mid sneak out, and I walk all the way to the park.

It was a short walk. Usually would take me about five minutes but the crutches make it ten. I've made it there and I'm out of breath and my arms ache and it's chilly and I don't see him yet.

And then I start thinking, why did I come here? Why did I agree to this? I don't know Timothée, I haven't known him for a long time and this just feels wrong.

But it feels so right too.

'Ella!' He says my name and it sounds so natural rolling off his tongue like that. I turn around and I spot the same kind smile on his face that he always wore, the smile I needed to see right now to reassure myself that this was okay.

I needed this day out. It's the only way I'm going to stay sane.

I walk towards him and I find that once I have come to a halt he's standing right beside a car. He grins. 'This beauty right here, is Lola.' He says patting the Jeep Cherokee like it's one his prized possessions. Which it probably is.  'Lola meet Ella, and Ella say hello to Lola.' I can't help but laugh at the scene unfolding before my eyes.

The car was nice, and it really did look like a Lola. But I didn't say anything, I just bent down slightly giving the car a little bow to show my respect. 'It's nice to meet you Lola.' I say and I watch as Timothée looks at me with amusement in his green eyes.

'I'm happy you came Ella.' He says and it seems like he wants to reach out and touch me, maybe place a hand on my arm but he holds himself back. 'I don't know.. I felt like after the thing I said at practice the other day, maybe you hated me.'

The thing he said. Does he mean the bomb he dropped. I sigh. 'I don't hate you Timothée, in fact I kind of sort of respect you for being blunt like that.' It was true. Although the words he dropped were heavy and hard to hear, it was the truth.