Chapter 10

It's been so long and I'm sorry but the amount of work I have to do is ridiculous. Also, I have people bugging me (aka Ashley and Chris HIIIII) to actually update so I'll try my hardest to actually do so this time!

---------

After the whole clown experience, Paul looked like he was about to pass out. Eve felt sorry for him. Afterall, he didn't like clowns at the best of times and obviously a maniac clown running towards him wasn't going to help his fear. She was glad that Kirk hadn't mentioned anything more about it. The fact that she wasn't sure whether anyone saw the way the clown looked at them made her keep her mouth shut. She didn't want to freak out her brother any more than necessary and Kirk didn't need the encouragement to start teasing him about it all. 

Despite which, Paul was still looking a little green and Lee thought that it was best that he went to the toilet to cool him down a bit. Kirk had suggested keeping him company but everyone knew that wasn't the best idea. 

Instead, Kirk and Eve sat on one of the walls near a tree which was randomly placed in the middle of the path towards the rollercoasters and people watched, whilst Ceri studied some of the signs around the area and referred back to the map. 

Paul and Lee were going to be a while, Eve assumed, so she took out her phone and shook it dramatically out in front of her, as if her signal was going to improve through the movement. Kirk, though looking at her oddly, didn't say anything about it. Actually, he was quite quiet, which bothered Eve more than it should have.

She nudged him playfully in the arm and gave him a forced smile, which he returned half heartedly. Adjusting himself on the wall, he relaxed his legs so that his knees touched hers, and pulled out his phone, twisting it in between his fingers. 

"How's the signal going? I don't think shaking it repeatedly is going to help, somehow."

Eve shot him a dirty look before holding the phone to Kirk's head. "Maybe your brain signals will help my phone work."

"Do you know how unfunny you actually are?"

"I'm hilarious."

"Hilarious looking."

"Why are you so mean to me?"

"Because you're holding your phone to my head willing for signal!" He batted her hand away and sighed, leaning backwards to play in the dirt surrounding the tree. "I hope Paul is okay."

Eve cocked her head to the side and gave Kirk a doubtful look. "Do you seriously care?"

Kirk shrugged and rubbed dirt between his fingers. "I'm not a bad person. Someone that scared of clowns shouldn't have to deal with all of that. I mean, clowns aren't really that scary. They're meant for kids and stuff, but those clowns were deathly, especially the last one. I'm surprised they are allowed to do that. It's not halloween."

"It was a bit strange I guess," Eve replied and ran her fingers through her hair distractedly, "but I guess they need something to encourage people to visit. I've never seen something like that. No wonder Jolene said that no one ever forgot about this place."

Kirk smiled and sat up straight, pressing his shoulder against Eve's as he put his phone back in his pocket.  "If the circus is like that then I do wonder what the rollercoasters and the outdoor activity centre will be like."

Eve shuddered. "Hopefully nothing like that. That was too freaky for the middle of the day."

"Baby."

"I'm not a baby!"

"Whatever, Evie. You were scared. I could see it in your eyes."

Eve frowned and started to open her mouth when her mother came over and disrupted them. Ceri adjusted her jacket and breathed out before folding the map up and indicating the direction where Paul and Lee had walked off in. "I don't know what's taking them so long but, at this rate, we wont be getting through this place. Do you want me to wait for them and you can go ahead? Kirk, have you got your phone on you? Good. I don't think Paul will be going on any of the rides so we can meet you afterwards. I'll take them to a cafe and we'll sit until he can calm down properly."