XXIX. Survival of the fittest

Start from the beginning

    "I don't-- I don't know." I shrug, "I can't explain it. Okay, It's creepy. I get it." 

     "Well, how do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you or Elena?" She asks. 

     "We don't, but i could sit here and be tortured by the not knowing, or i could get these prizes to the ringtoss." Elena huffs. 

    "Well, have either of you talked to Damon since he killed Jeremy or-or tried to kill Jeremy?" Bonnie asks. 

    "Don't ask me, ask Alina, they make out." She glares. I give her a look rolling my eyes. 

    "You and Damon make out?" Bonnie gasps.

"None of your business." I smirk and sigh, "And no, i haven't. Elena can talk to him." I smile. 

    "No i won't, and i don't wanna talk about Damon or anything else that's vampire-related, Okay?"  She huffs, shoving a bag of prizes at Bonnie. 

   "Copy that." Bonnie laughs. 

"Look, we're human, and we have human things to do. Otherwise, she's gonna go crazy." I laugh, pointing to Elena. 

     "Okay, I'm sorry." Bonnie nods, "Now focus, we have to make Caroline proud, or she will kill us. I have no idea how she does this all the time." 

    "Well because she's not human, obviously." Elena teases. 

"Obviously." Bonnie and i laugh, We start to walk away when my phone starts to ring. I sigh pulling it out of my pocket, seeing Damon's name on the screen. I quirk an eyebrow, I've only been gone for a couple of hours. 

   "Hello?" I ask, trailing behind Elena and Bonnie. 

"Meet me behind the school." He says and then hangs up. I frown, how cryptic. I sigh, looking back up to Bonnie and Elena who are looking at me strangely. 

     "I'll be right back, we got another truck and they're lost." I lie, they nod and i walk away, I'm gonna have to tell them about Damon and i at some part, sooner rather than later.  I turn the corner to the back loading dock. I frown, looking around not seeing Damon. 

    "Damon?" I ask, looking around. 

"Boo." He whispers in my ear, i gasp, spinning around, almost falling. He grabs onto me, his eyes wide. 

    "You scared the shit out of me." I sigh, placing a hand on my heart.  "I thought you were like, someone trying to kill me." 

    He frowns slightly and tilts his head, "I'd never let anyone or anything hurt you." He promises. 

    "I like this side of you." I smile. He smiles as well and i sigh, "What are you doing here? I have a carnival to help plan." I say with a playful glare. 

     "Maybe i just wanted to see you." He smirks. 

"Now that would be cute, now why are you actually here?" I ask, tilting my head, he gives me a look and i groan, "Is it bad?" 

    "It would be cute, and it is cute. That's really why I'm here." I grin, wrapping my hands around his neck, "I have to go meet Carol Lockwood, a council thing." He says rolling his eyes. 

    "Wow, do i have competition?" I tease and he playfully rolls his eyes. 

   "Never." He assures, giving me a quick kiss, "I really should go, but i really don't want too." 

     "Then don't, we could always walk up to Elena and tell her, and then you can help me set up for tonight." I tease, knowing he wouldn't. 

    He gives me a look and i sigh, "No, but i will be here tonight." He assures, leaning down to kiss me. I lean up as he wraps his arms around me, tighter.