Things Never Really Change

Start from the beginning

"I already knew she was here, Mikey." his voice was thick & he was almost glaring as he crossed his arms across his chest.

I stared back, wounded, what else could I do. I didn't want to let the warmth of this moment with the guys be depressed.

"Hey Mikey!" Raphael was motioning for Michelangelo to stop his gushing; waiting for a happy reunion that obviously wasn't in Donnie's plan. Raph, looked on at him precariously taking heed to their brother's tone. There was an uncomfortable silence, waiting for Donnie to make his point, but it was meant more so for me. 

"Daddy!!!!"

The excited laughter broke through the air as the tiny baby, Flower came pushing past her uncle's knees & she jumped into her father's lap. He wrapped her up lovingly & I found myself enchanted at how tender & sweet he suddenly became. I was no longer the smallest person in the room & I could't care anymore about Donnie's disapproving stare down, we were surrounded by the strength of Raphael's massive heart. This little girl brought the warmth back all around us as she cooled her father's temper without effort.

"Daddy! Did you killed any one!?" she demanded.

"No baby girl." Raph stammered, "No I didn't kill anyone." he answered sheepishly looking back at me. "Where does this girl come up with this stuff?"

Then as  crisp as a breeze, an elegant voice answered; "Daughter, you're father didn't kill anyone. There could have been a possible decapitation."

I looked up to see Mona Lisa's beautiful face. Her strong face & statuesque form, as commanding as a marble diety. She was looking down at Raphael maybe only half teasingly.

"And... that's where she gets if from." Raph sighed as Mona lifted the child from his lap.

"Y'Gythgba!" I cried out in amazement. She towered over the rest in the room, more than six feet tall. Her skin such an incredibly dark indigo, it made her opalescent eyes seem like stars. 

"April O'Neil." She smiled respectfully, "I'm rather pleased that you are here. Perhaps now our dear Donatello will stop berating us with endless rhetorical questions & simply ask you for for himself." She leaned down to kiss Raphael's cheek & I sat awkwardly on the bed next to them as I spied his hand run down the length of her arm as she stood to leave with their little bundle of laughter.

She stopped for a moment at the door to give Donnie a look, I can only assume, & he eyed her with a mix of equal parts respect & annoyance.

"Mona, your grasp of implied discretion is coming along JUST swell." He said in his best sarcastic voice.

"Oh Donatello, you've decided to join us for once." She was acting out an aloof indifference to his sturdy lean on the door frame, in her way. She turned back to not one of us inparticular; "Darling, what did you say his obnoxious behavior was referred to as? Oh pining."

As she turned holding Flower to her chest, & walked past Donnie, he was forced to move into the tiny room, close to us & we were all left looking at him.

"Babe your grasp of sarcasm is just perfect!" Raph called after her, dramatically making an 'OK' sign with his fingers, accentuating his enjoyment in Donnie's shut down.

"Mmm like me, my love." I heard her answer.

Donatello was left looking at his hands in defeat like he had thrown an imaginary towel to the floor, talking to himself mostly; "I was standing here the whole time!"

We caught eyes for a moment before he left again, flustered .

I looked to Raph in exasperation; "Ohh my. Is she like that with him all the time? I feel like the butt of some family joke."