15

The two teams had planned to head out past Donsborough that day, to a place called Bunker Bay

The two teams had planned to head out past Donsborough that day, to a place called Bunker Bay. It was a popular swimming spot, and some people liked to go snorkelling there, as a lot of fish lived in the kelp at the edge of the bay. It was a rocky area, but the sea was calm, and the waves were fairly limited. The teams had decided to make Bunker Bay the meeting point for the day. If others wanted to go off and visit other nearby tourist attractions, they were welcome to, provided they made it back to the bay in time to get on the bus to return to Busselton in the evening. Most people remained at the bay for at least the first part of the day anyway.

Leroy and Lia took some snorkelling gear, and paddled out over the kelp together to look for fish. It was no coral reef, and there was nothing spectacular about the area, but it was still beautiful in its own way. The two of them followed a school of beautifully coloured fish for about half an hour. The water was pleasantly warm, and they continued until the snorkelling masks began hurting their faces. Then they found a rock just out of sight of the shore, round the corner of the bay, and clambered up on top of it to relax in the sun for a while.

"Love the mask lines," Leroy smirked at his soulmate, as she stretched out her tired limbs.

"Shut up," she retorted. "You have them too, you know."

"I feel like I'm still wearing the mask even though I can see it on the rock beside me," the German said. "They really need to put research into how to make those things more comfortable."

"Have you done snorkelling before?" Asked Lia.

"In the Mediterranean Sea," he nodded. "I'd like to go and see the Great Barrier Reef, but that's in Queensland, about as far away from where we are now as you could possibly get without actually leaving Australia."

"Yeah, I've heard the Great Barrier is beautiful," Lia nodded. "But apparently the Ningaloo Reef is better, have you heard of that one?"

Leroy shook his head.

"It's north of here, on the west coast of Australia."

"How far north? Can we go?" Leroy asked.

"Uh, it would be well over one thousand kilometres from here, so no," Lia chuckled at him.

"Aw, okay," he shook his head. "One day we're going to come back and explore the whole country."

"That'll take us six months at least, but I'd be down," she grinned. "When you retire, yeah? Or you planning on injuring yourself?"

"No thanks," Leroy retorted. "I'm fit as a fiddle, and I plan on staying that way for my whole career."

"I don't think anyone plans on getting injured," she said. "Ox certainly didn't, for one. You could be doing everything right, and suddenly in comes a bad tackle from some random defender, and bang, there goes your knee. Nothing you can do about it."