9

Virgil had been spared from finding the courage to go and talk to his girl, as the two had collided due to a complete accident in the hallway at the entrance to the restaurant, and the first thing he noticed was her London accent

"Oh," he said, looking at her curiously, after they'd both apologised to each other for the collision. "Are you from England?"

"I am," she nodded, with a smile. "My name's Harriet. And you're Virgil Van Dijk, I know you."

"You follow football then?" He smiled.

"Yeah, my family are all Liverpool fans. Wow, I heard you were all going to Australia to do some project with Man City, but I didn't realise you'd be here! I didn't see you guys seated anywhere."

"We have a private section outside," he explained.

Other people were trying to pass through the hallway now, and the two realised they were still standing there.

"As much as I'd love to continue this conversation here, I think we're in the way," Virgil chuckled.

"Let's move somewhere else to talk?" She suggested.

"Sure, lets go outside," he nodded.

Harriet went to grab her drink from her table, and the two wandered out to the glass half-wall, and stood overlooking the bay whilst they chatted.

"So how does a Liverpool fan with a London accent come to be in south west Australia?" Virgil asked her.

"I was born in Liverpool, but my mum took a job in London when I was five so we moved down there, and I picked up the accent pretty quickly. You get teased for having a scouser accent in primary school, you know."

"I can imagine," Virgil smiled. "But you stayed with your roots for football, I can respect that." Harriet laughed, and tucked her long, curly hair behind her ears, which had been blowing in the breeze.

"Anyway, I'm on holiday with my two sisters, we're touring Australia. We've already done most of the east coast, and the red centre, now we've got the west coast and along the bottom to go."

"That sounds amazing," Virgil said. "The red centre? What is in the middle of Australia?"

"Uluru, or Ayers Rock, you know? The famous big red rock?" Said Harriet. "And Kings Canyon is out there as well, that's pretty spectacular. And there's this crazy place called Gunlom where you climb up the side of a steep mountain and there's all these crystal clear natural rock pools you can swim in, it's beautiful. If I had my phone on me I'd show you photos."

"You've got a passion for travelling then, I guess?" Virg grinned at her enthusiasm.

"Just a bit," she smiled, blushing a little. "Sorry, I get carried away when I talk about places I really enjoyed visiting."