x. training session

Start from the beginning

Kota wasn't an expert Trikru warrior by any means but she wanted to show her how to defend herself while also gaining confidence in her attributes. Hopefully, she'd be able to learn something from her.

"So why did you drag me out here? Why couldn't we stay in your cave?" Octavia looked over at her suspiciously.

"Well," Kota began while bending down and grabbing the bow and arrows she hid in a nearby bush. "I'm going to teach you how to fight."

She looked over at the Sky girl and immediately saw the excitement in her eyes.

"Wait! Really?"

"Yes, but don't get too excited. I want to start by showing you some self-defense moves, however, you need to begin with the basics."

"Alright, so what's first?" She asked impatiently.

"There are many elements to basic self-defense. After learning and excelling in them, we can move forward to more strategic moves."

She walked up to her and held the bow and arrow out for her to take. Octavia looked at her with furrowed eyebrows, causing the other to smirk at her hesitancy. After she took them from Kota's hands, she stepped back.

"Let me ask you this: When exactly does our defensive mode, or "survival mode", usually kick in?"

Octavia glanced to the side as if thinking for a moment before she looked back over to her.

"Um...I guess when we feel attacked?"

"Exactly!" The Grounder smiled. "However, you might not always feel a direct attack. I don't know how it was to live in the sky, but here on the ground, you should always be on guard for an unprovoked attack. Do you understand what that means?"

Octavia gave her a small smile and bit her bottom lip. "Yeah, it's basically like an unexpected fight. Right?" She asked, while mischievously inching her way closer to the girl. "Like, if I tackled you right now. You wouldn't even expect it."

Kota raised her eyebrows and put her hands on her shoulders to try and maintain the distance between them. Even though she enjoyed being close to her, this was something she needed to take seriously, meaning they couldn't be distracted.

"Well, you just announced what you were thinking so I would very much be expecting it." She grinned. "I'm talking about what you should do when hit with a surprise attack. So, the first element we are going to learn today is strengthening your reflexes."

Octavia finally stopped looking at her seductively and started focusing on her words.

"To demonstrate how strong one's reflexes can be, I am going to turn around and start walking away from you. What I want you to do, is lift the bow and shoot two arrows at me whenever you'd like. Just don't announce when you're doing it and try to be quiet about it. You think you can do that?"

The Sky girl looked over at her incredulously.

"Hell no! I can't do that!" She scoffed.

"What's wrong? I thought I taught you how to use it a couple of days ago. You should be fine."

She immediately shook her head. "That's not the reason. Dakota, you just asked me to shoot arrows at you. Do you not understand how crazy that sounds?"