chapter sixteen

Once again, this chapter is a bit short. Please dont be mad. And once again I will hopefully update within a week. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING MY FIC

---------------------------

//DEAN//

I screamed as Cas took the bullet for me. I screamed as I saw blood tricking down the back of his head. I screamed for what felt like hours. He was gone. Still alive, but his breathing was shallow and sparse. I watched the doctors lift him onto the stretcher. I pulled a ring off his slender  finger and placed it on my own hand. I kissed it, tears falling from my eyes as the ambulance drove away.

Six months later…

Everyone thinks that dying is the worst possible thing that could happen to a human being. Slow, painful death. But sometimes being alive is harder than dying. That was my life without Cas. Slow and painful. Not really getting much done, just plodding along, day by day. We moved back into our old house, John being in jail. But it was harder than before. My motivation was at the bottom of the barrel. I could visit him on Mondays and Thursdays, and that's what I did.  I would get up and drive to the hospital, and just sit by him all day. Family members came and went, bearing gifts. But I just sat, and held his hand. Sometimes I would bring him flowers or chocolates or I would sing to him, trying to coax him to wake up, but it was getting harder and harder to see him, lying motionless, barely breathing.

As the months went by, less and less people came to visit. They seemed to have just… forgotten about him

I made friends with his nurse, Adam. We had a bit in common. Correction: a lot in common. Same father, actually. Turns out one of the reasons that John was constantly away from me and Sammy was because he was taking care of Adam. Adam and I were equally disgusted by this, so we got along quite well. He even introduced me to a friend of his, Emily, trying to get us together. I explained to him that I had a boyfriend and he explained to me that my boyfriend was in a coma and might not wake up… ever.

“Look, buddy,” he said, resting his hand on my shoulder, “You have to get back out there, you’ve been single for a long time-”

“I haven’t been single,” I interrupted, showing him Castiel’s ring on my finger, “I've been with Castiel. I cant love anyone else.”

He nodded sadly and walked away. I sat down next to Cas again and held his hand, singing softly.

“Hey Jude, don't make it bad

Take a sad song and make it better…”

My voice drifted off, through the hospital.

Three months later… Thursday - 9:30pm

“He looks so peaceful,” Charlie said, looking at the motionless, makeup-less Cas.

“But he’s looked peaceful for the past nine months and I want him to wake up now,” Gabriel sighed, sadly.

“Awwh Gabey,” Charlie hugged him, “I’ve got something that might cheer you up!” She reached into her bag and pulled out a cherry lollipop.

Gabriel’s eyes lit up a bit as he took it from her, “Thanks Charls.”

“Thanks for coming, Charlie,” I said, “I’m sure it’d mean a lot to Cas.”

“Hey! Anything for the C-man!” she cracked a smile. I just looked at her. “Oh c’mon! That was the funniest thing I've ever- oops got to go.” She rushed out, waving her phone at me. “It’s Jo.”

Charlie and Jo have been dating for ages. It went something like: Charlie said that she liked Jo’s eyes and Jo said she liked Charlie’s hair and the next minute they were making out my the kitchen. Not that I object to that.

Adam poked his head around the door: “Sorry guys, visiting time is up.”

As we grudgingly left the room, Adam patted me on the back. “Call me if-” I began.

“If anything happens. Yes. I’ll call you, now go and have some rest, you look really tired.”

“Thank you so much Adam,” I pulled him in for a hug.

“Anytime, man,” he said, glancing at the ring on my finger.

I immediately started fiddling with it. “See you later,” I said, as the heavy doors closed behind me.

The car drive home was quiet. Just the muted slurps of Gabriel’s candy and the muffled sound of Sam giggling into his hand, probably about something incredibly un-funny.

“You staying the night, Gabe?” I broke the silence.

“Yeah,” he replied.

“OO!” Sam said, excitedly, “Pirates is on tonight! Do you want to watch it?”

“YES!” said Gabe, slapping Sam’s hand in a high five.

“I think I’ll just practice guitar, you guys can watch it,” I said, not really wanting to watch it. It reminded me of Cas.

“Sure thing, Dean-o,” said Gabe, understandingly.

3:00am

I checked my bedside clock. I’d been trying to fall asleep for four hours. I got up and snuck into Sam’s room. The boy was sleeping, mouth open, masses of hair everywhere, half draped off the bed. I quietly opened his bedside drawer.

“Dean?” I heard Gabe whisper, “What are you doing?”

“Looking for Sam’s sleeping pills,” I explained. The energetic boy had trouble sleeping sometimes because, well, he’s energetic.

“Mmkay,” said Gabe, dosing off again.

I found the pills under a half eaten packet of chocolate biscuits. I shook the orange jar. There were a few left. I downed one with a glass of water and went back to bed, where I fell into a restless sleep.