Atlantis [Male! Kida x Reader] Part II

Start from the beginning

I was bursting with questions. 

"Did you see the Leviathan?" I blurted, "It was enormous! Easily greater than a Blue Whale - probably dwarfs its size by yards! Its hide too - looked sharp with the implication of an exoskeleton. Something similar to a crustacean - maybe we can link it with a certain phylum or - " 

"Hold on a minute," Milo said patiently, "Slow down." 

Gently, he revealed a flask of water at his hip and wiped off its mouthpiece before presenting it to me. I thanked him and took a small swallow, but then realised how parched I really was and ended up downing it greedily. 

"Sorry," I said blushingly, returning the empty canister. 

"It's no problem," Milo replied graciously, "I brought it for you." 

The words, in all their utter simplicity, almost made me blush for how devoted they sounded on his tongue. Milo couldn't possibly admire me, I reasoned. A man like him, with such well-bred manners and polite disposition, would have done it for anyone. 

I hadn't realised that he had been talking. 

"- referenced on this page," Milo had been saying, unaware that I hadn't caught a word of it, "I already spoke to Commander Rourke and helped to plot the journey. Of course, it wasn't easy to position the sixteen cardinal points so closely nestled to the earth's surface - the magnetic interference was a tricky thing to - " 

Milo stopped himself with a shy smile, twitching the glasses on his nose, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be bothering you with this much information so early on. You need time to recover." 

I protested, "I can handle it." 

Pressing his wrist to my forehead, he frowned at the flush of temperature.Though it was my bane to admit it, I was feeling dizzy and flustered, and was coerced to recline back onto the thin matress. Admittedly, it was strange to see how worried he looked. 

"I'll be fine," I pressed him, "I'm stronger than I look, I promise." 

Milo smiled gently, "I believe that." 

- - - 

It had taken hours to traverse the labyrinthine underground caverns, vast and unexplored, extended before us like a palm welcoming us to discover each of its boundaries. Though it was clear that we had not yet reached Atlantis, it was generally agreed among the crew that we were fast approaching the heart of the fabled Great City. 

I was bursting with curiosity, mind aching with a thirst for knowledge: how was the Atlantean world still preserved beneath the sea? Could it be possible that some Atlanteans still survived? It soon became apparent that I wasn't going to tire of my pursuit and, due to a unanimous vote from the remaining crew of the Amphitrite, Milo was tasked with explaining it to me. Mole also added a few grumbling remarks here and there, adding snickered criticisms about arcane and rare types of rock formations that had lead to the structure of the underwater caverns. After informing the geologist that the words "orthopyroxene", "chromite", "maskelynite", and "iron-rich carbonate" meant absolutely nothing to me (other than the oncoming of a migraine), Milo assured me that the gist of it was that the underground formations was built just like a sink, with a pit of air being trapped beneath the layers of the oceanic crust. This, at least, I could understand. Not very well, but my polite nodding seemed to do something for my expected competence. 

We had been shuffled into one cornered-off area of an equipment vehicle, sectored into the back of the four-seater while Mrs Packard drove us. Rorke had commanded that each vehicle be driven and each person required to work over-time due to the significant reduction in the crew, but was disgruntled at the fact that neither Milo nor I knew how to drive a military-grade vehicle.