Bonus chapter - Christmas special

Start from the beginning

Hunter grins at me, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "You always have seen the good in bad situations."

A knock at the door brings me out of my trance and I stride over to answer it.

"The person you have all been waiting for has arrived!" Ridge grins, once I open the door. He throws his arms around me, planting a kiss on my forehead.

"Merry Christmas, Ridgy."

"Merry Christmas, El."

"How was your flight?" I question, grabbing his suitcase and wheeling it into our spare bedroom.

Ridge had graduated with a degree in biomedicine two years ago. After completing his community corrections order, he really began to turn his life around. He had moved interstate last Summer for work.

"Long, boring. The usual. How's it all going here anyway?" Ridge queers, raising his eyebrow at Hunter as he carves more of the chicken once we've walked into the kitchen.

"It's been...interesting, to say the least."

Ridge cracks a grin, laughing quietly to himself. He brushes his hair from his eyes, shaking his head. "He burnt the chicken, didn't he?"

Hunter turns to Ridge with a scowl. "You try cooking for once, you —"

"Ridge! Help me set the table?" I smile, watching as Hunter continues to frown at Ridge.

Ridge nods at me, patting Hunter on the back as he walks past. "You're doing great, bro."

Hunter mumbles under his breath, before turning back the chicken. I bring out the placemats, handing them over to Ridge, just as the doorbell rings again.

"Oh, it must be —"

"Ellie! Could you help me?" Noah shouts as he walks through the front door.

I walk over to the door, laughing at Noah as my two-year-old niece, Libby, grasps tightly to his leg, giggling to herself. He's struggling to hold all the presents in his hands as he drags the leg Libby's holding behind him like dead weight.

"Merry Christmas!" I smile, pulling Noah into a hug.

I pick up Libby as she wraps her arms around my neck. She nuzzles her head into my shoulder and I take her into the dining room. "Where's Nina?" I ask.

Noah had met Nina, his wife, soon after he had moved into his own apartment. She was his neighbour and now they've been married for the past two and a half years.

Meeting Nina has definitely been the best thing to ever happen to my brother. Without her, I know he would have been dragged in deeper to the life of motorbikes and gang wars, which wasn't the life I wanted for him. Since marrying Ni, he's still an active member for the Skulls but now that he has his own family to take care of, he hasn't been as involved. Despite everything, I know dad is proud of him.

"I'm here!" Nina hollers, her voice travelling throughout the house. She had the sweetest voice, which matches her beautiful personality.

"Hello, Ellie," she swoons, wrapping me in a warm hug.

She grabs Libby from my arms, kissing her daughter's face. Noah greets her with a bright, infectious smile and I watch them interact. He pulls out a chair for his pregnant wife before Libby clambers over to sit down on Noah's lap.

I leave everyone in the dining room, Ridge walking over to play peek-a-boo with Libby. I wrap my arms around Hunter once I'm back in the kitchen, leaning my head against his back.

"Are you sure you don't want any help?" I ask.

"Yes. You've been stressed out too much lately, and I just want you to relax today."