Four

♡♡♡

A week. A whole week of my summer break wasted. I should be at the beach right now, with Stacey and Carmen. I should be laughing, happy that we aren't in our small town anymore, that we are finally viewing the ocean from more than just an old picture of us from the previous summer.

It's a tradition of ours. We always take the two-hour drive to the closest beach at the end of the first week. What are they thinking right now? Were they looking for me? Were my family searching? Did the police even know?

The answer is pretty obvious. The police don't know. They would have found me by now for sure otherwise. The Skulls must know The Razors have me.

Obviously, my dad has made the decision not to get the police involved. It probably has to do with the fact that they had broken the rules. They had been getting jobs in The Razors territory, illegally. Or, it has something to do with their actual job. I try to suppress the uneasiness.

The first night that I slept in the barn, the two blankets that Ridge had dropped at my feet weren't enough, even in summer. "I tried to warn you," Ridge had said, anger and disappointment laced his voice.

The memory from class swarms my brain. He had tried to tell me, but it wasn't enough. He didn't tell me directly what was going to happen, so how could he make it seem like I'm in the wrong?

On the second night, just before I was about to fall asleep on the uncomfortable hay, Hunter brought me a sheet and a duvet. He didn't want me to know it was him, I was sure of that. He had worn a hoodie, hiding most of his face. But I saw his eyes and that was enough. He had purposely chosen the moment I was about to fall asleep to walk in, I know that too.

I know the routine now. Breakfast is at seven, every day. Marcos, the guy who had kidnapped me, brought it in every morning. He never speaks and rarely makes eye contact.

At eleven, Hunter comes in to walk me around outside. I'm not sure if that was originally part of the plan. The first day he came in, telling me I had to walk with him, Andy had pulled him aside later on, asking what the hell he was doing. I could hear their hushed, urgent fight outside the barn. But after that, Hunter came around at the same time, every day.

The only way I know my schedule is because Ridge had told me one day, out of nowhere. He was just trying to make conversation, I could tell. He brings in my lunch, hardly ever speaking. Then my dinner is brought in my Marcos, just like breakfast. I often try to speak to him, just to see if he will finally break. He never does.

"Put your shoes on," a deep voice says from the door.

I look up from the book I'm currently reading, the one Hunter had given me. I don't know if I'm allowed to have this either, but I don't care. At least I'm not as bored.

"It's eleven already?" I ask. I've tried to sleep in most days, to make the painfully long days shorter. But I am always woken up at seven, no matter what.

"Yep," Hunter says, leaning against the door. He's wearing a white t-shirt. His jeans are a faded blue, and I wonder how he isn't dying from heat stroke.

They'd given me some old clothes. Luckily they're women's clothes, but I had no idea who they are from. I haven't seen a single female the whole time I've been here.

I pull my hair into a high pony, wiping the sweat from the back of my neck. I pass the shower and toilet in the corner of the barn. The shower only has cold water. Usually, that would be a problem, but it's a good escape from the heat.

I walk over to the tap near the barn door, splashing my face to cool down. The water splutters out, hardly giving me enough to wet my cheeks, let alone my whole face.