13; You're A Real Miracle-Worker

Context: Human AU. Crowley is a doctor, Aziraphale is a retired history professor and they meet thanks to Adam and his propensity to get hurt.

Also, the medical aspect of this fic is very unrealistic. An idea popped into my head and I ran with it, with minimal research, so you have been warned. Suspend your disbelief for that bit if you must.

Word Count: 7,600

_____

The emergency room was quite full today, which only added to Aziraphale's stress. He knew it wasn't too bad, sure Adam was in pain, but he wasn't voicing it at the moment, so that meant he could at least tolerate it. He also had his headphones on and was blasting music, so the distraction must've been helping a bit. Yes, his godson had a very impressive threshold for pain, and that was both good and horrible for Aziraphale's nerves. Of course the quiet, former professor would be in charge of a little daredevil, because that was just his luck. God certainly has a sense of humor.

Aziraphale Fell never intended to be a parent or a father-figure to anyone. Therefore, when Adam moved in with him, it took a lot of getting used to. Arthur Young and Deirdre Thompson became friends with Aziraphale back in their university days. Since they were easily the most obsessive students in the history faculty, it was no surprise that they grew very close and even worked together. That's how Aziraphale ended up being Arthur's best man at his and Deirdre's wedding, as well as their only son's godfather.

The reason for him fully taking care of Adam was because of the ways they decided to specialize in their careers. Aziraphale had been an ancient history professor for much of his adult life, but Arthur and Deirdre had taken it a step further by also dabbling in archeology. The pair were always traveling back and forth from one site to another, helping to unearth many valuable pieces from all over the world.

Once the couple had Adam, they tried to settle down in Tadfield for good, but it was very evident that they missed the more adventurous side of their work. So when the opportunity to join in a dig in Mesopotamia popped up, they nearly jumped head-first. Adam was actually the one who threw a wrench in their plans. Originally, they heard the offer and were discussing a type of homeschooling for their boy, but he vehemently refused. He didn't want to leave his home or his friends, and he definitely didn't want to be stuck in a tent all day in the field doing assignments while his parents went and had 'all the fun', as he put it. Having no one else, or rather, trusting no one else with their son, Arthur and Deirdre turned to Aziraphale. He knew how important this particular dig was, having told them himself about it.

Ever since retiring from his teaching job, Aziraphale had actually been in charge of cataloging and documenting all of the Young's findings. He may as well been their curator too. Point being: anything that had to do with them always came through Aziraphale, so in a way, old Professor Fell had done this to himself. When Adam learned he would stay in Tadfield with Aziraphale, the 11 year old cheered as though he had just scored the winning goal at the World Cup.

In hindsight, perhaps he should have known the boy had a few tricks up his sleeve. He had always been very clever, able to talk his way out of trouble, but the biggest problem, in Aziraphale's eyes, was that he had no fear. He was always the bravest of his friends, doing things some of them would never dare of thinking. Leaping from one side of the stream to the other using dirt-ramps while on their bikes? Adam's idea. Climbing up the tallest tree in the neighborhood using tools from their parents' sheds? Adam's idea. Trying to do parkour even though none of them possessed any real knowledge or skill on the discipline? Adam's idea. And these were just some things he had done since being under Aziraphale's care. The earliest he had ever heard of Adam doing anything dangerous for fun was when he was 5 years old and flew off his bike for going too fast and crashing into a mailbox because he couldn't stop himself in time. He had even lost a tooth on that one. Luckily, it was one of his baby teeth, so the permanent one grew in just fine. Even back then, in pain, he got back on the bike and tried to execute whatever plan he had.