Chapter 3.

Alex's P.O.V

I sat staring at the sheet of paper in my hand, not quite able to believe what I had just read. She was dying? The girl that I had noticed the second she walked into the room, the girl I had seen lauging and messing around with Jack and her friend, the girl who seemed so full of life? She couldn't possibly be dying.

But she is, a small voice in the back of my head said. She would already be dead if it wasn't for Therapy.

I wiped the tears away from my eyes and cleared my throat. There was a giant lump in my throat, the kind you get when you dry-swallow a pill. I looked around the room. Some fans were staring at me, clearly worried about my behaviour. I felt bad, almost as if I had neglected most of them tonight but I couldn't help it. I wasn't able to go and talk to the fans as if everything was okay when I had just read something like that. I hoped they would understand.

Jack mouthed, "Are you okay?" at me from across the room. I shook my head and sighed. He casually jogged across the room and sat down next to me. "Dude, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost or something."

I blinked furiously, trying to stop any more tears from forming. I considered not telling him for a moment before I realised if Mia didn't want people to know, she wouldn't have written that letter and included all of us in it. Jack, Zack and Rian had a right to know. I guess I was the one that had to tell them. "You know that girl you were talking to earlier, Mia?"

He nodded his head and smiled. "Yeah, she's really cool. Pretty damn hot too. What about her?"

I agreed with him about her being attractive, she was beautiful. "She has cancer. She's dying," I said bluntly.

"What, are you serious?" he asked. "Shit. I can't believe it."

"It's true," I said and handed him the letter. I watched him carefully as his eyes scanned over the letter, widening in certain places as he read her words.

"She almost killed herself?" he whispered. His voice was thick, it sounded as if he was trying to hold back tears. I nodded my head sadly.

"I know it's not on the set list but I want to play Therapy tonight, for her. It's the least we can do," I said. The determination in my voice was clear.

"Sure, I'll let the others know."

"Thanks Jack. Oh, and if you spot her in the crowd, let me know."

"Sure thing," he said as he turned and left. I let out a deep breath and ran my hand through my hair. I had to go and talk to some of the other fans. I could at least pretend as if I was okay, even if it was all an act.

I wandered up to a group of four girls, all of whom appeared to be less than sixteen years old. As I stood talking to them, I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to Mia. I was dying to know how she would react to us playing Therapy.

Halfway through Stay Awake, Jack ran over to me and whispered in my ear, "Found her." He raised his arm and pointed in her direction. Our eyes locked and I grinned. A strange sensation spread through me when she smiled but I shook it off and continued playing the song.

It was getting close to the end. I glanced over at Jack for confirmation of what I was about to do. He nodded, understanding what I meant. I cleared my throat and approached the microphone. "So tonight, I received a letter from a very special person. I can honestly say that when I read it, I broke down in tears. I haven't cried like that since the end of Toy Story 3. Some of the things in that letter were incredible and really got me thinking. You don't mind if I read part of it out, do you Mia?" I looked at her and she shook her head. I took that as my cue to continue.