Where am I?

Sitting up cautiously, I suppress a small groan. My entire body aches and I begin to wonder if my dream was really a dream. 

"Your up mommy! Now you can pway with us!" Danny's small voice forces my eyes to roam around the room. This isn't Ian's room, or Elaine's for that matter. The four walls hold drawings of the Pixar movie Toy Story. Every part of the room is decorated with Woody and Buzz Lightyear furniture and toys. Just like home. Ian is too smart. 

"It's breakfast time, baby not playtime." I use the night stand to help me stand up. Why am I so sore? Was I kicked too?

"Good morning,"  Ian's now in front of me while I remain frozen in fear. If my memory is correct he did hit me last night. 

"...Good...good morning," I flinch away when he kisses my forehead. My head still hurts.

 "Are you okay?" Once his lips leave my skin, he looks me over thoughtfully. Even acknowledging the small bruise on my jaw. 

No, you dumb son of a bitch I am not okay. I want you to leave Danny and I alone for good. 

That's what I wish I could say, but of course, I'm too much of a coward to say much of anything. So I opt for this instead,

"Yeah, I'm fine."

He shakes his head at me before lifting my gray shirt. I whimper when I feel his hand press on the fist sized bruise.  

"Danny, you kick when you sleep?" Ian chuckles while Danny apologizes.  

Looking around I realize what Ian is inferring. I obviously fell alseep in my son's bed but I know for a fact he didn't cause these injuries. 

 "He didn't kick me," I blurt out without thought. Oh no, why did I just say that?  

"Ava, we know it wasn't on purpose. I just don't want you thinking it-"

He pauses. I notice the way his arms are clucthing mine and the way his breathing steadies. 

"You don't have to be afraid of me, okay? I'm not going to hurt you anymore."

And with that, he leaves with our son.  He and Danny go downstairs; leaving me upstairs to think about how shitty I am. And how shitty my life has become.

#

Three months later

The next few months went by unusually quiet. Ian went to work everyday, except Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Martin traveled from here- wherever we are- to Washington. Elaine and I stayed home which forced us to interact more and more. She apologized to me and continued keeping her distance from Danny- even though she didn't want to. She stayed away from him and for that I was grateful. 

He'd ask questions about her. Like who she was and why he hadn't seen her before. After explaining to him that new people come into his life for two reasons: to teach you a lesson or be taught by you. I told him that he and his grandmother can learn from eachother. Just not alone.

He then went on about how cool it was to have two grandmas because he'll get even more "peasants", as he calls them. He asked about Jared more than I could even handle. The round of questions consisted of "Where is he?" When is he coming back?" And why couldn't we go with him?"

I know I shouldn't lie to him but I don't know what else to do. I don't know how to tell him that his mommy has no idea where Jared is or if he is even alive.