The Only Thing

Alicia Zalana lied to him. That fact hits him in the chest and knocks the breath from his lungs.

Panic had reared its head and clamped around his throat when he realised she was leaving, yet had no intention of going back to the relative safety of the capital. It was a panic that had faded to a dull scraping at his insides when he reminded himself they all must carve their own paths, just as he did in the capital.

Oliver lets out a sigh and runs his fingers through his messy hair, trying to ignore the ghost of her touch against his skin, like she was merely a phantom in his mind, dredged up from his overwhelming need to simply be by her. It leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

Instead of focusing on the pang in his chest, Oliver settles his gaze on his shifting surroundings as his stallion takes him further north, carts and horses and the low murmurings of his soldiers accompanying him.

They travel for the next ancient ruin, following the direction of Ghuls that should have stayed trapped in their tomb. Following some vague hope for an end to all of this. Like this fight has ever been so simple.

He doesn't trust the creatures, but like the rest of them, he has no choice but to follow.

"Shouldn't be much further," Sam says as she rides up beside him, her dark gaze on the road ahead.

"Then we should talk about what could happen." It's Galya who speaks, directing her horse to Oliver's other side, her eyes on him as she pierces him with a look he supposes he's meant to interpret. "Where's Alicia?"

Oliver looks ahead, trying to keep his features neutral. It's difficult when he feels the hurt in his chest flare. "I'm not sure," he says, his voice strained.

"She didn't tell you?" Sam asks, looking at him with a frown.

He meets her gaze. "You know?"

She ponders the question for a moment, taking her sweet time before she shakes her head, watching Oliver more closely.

He inclines his head. "I suppose she didn't tell us for a reason then."

Sam snorts, the scrutiny on her face slipping away to be replaced with amusement. "Do you really have to wonder?"

Oliver clenches his jaw as he tightens the leather reins around his fist, focusing on his movement and not Sam's knowing gaze.

"She's trying to protect you, Oliver," she says with a sigh. "I think that's all she really cares about anymore; protecting you, protecting us and this mission."

Oliver reaches into his pocket and clicks open the container of his cigarettes. He pulls one out and runs the paper along his lower lip, pondering her words when he knows he shouldn't. He's meant to be focusing on other things.

"She's gone after Warren," he eventually says as he strikes a match and ignites the cigarette, inhaling with relief.

Sam pats her horse's neck and gazes at the animal before she replies. "Can you blame her? She knows how important this all is and she knows the risk Warren poses. It makes sense for her to go after him alone."

His jaw works at her words, despising the idea of Alicia going into that type of danger without at least him at her side.

"She'll be back," Sam says with a shrug, completely unconcerned about what Alicia is subjecting herself to, what she's sacrificing.

Sometimes he feels as though he doesn't know Alicia, but he knows enough to understand what vengeance will cost her.

"She has plenty of time to reach us again anyway. Whatever Kreenik is looking for, he thought he'd find it at Yorvik Keep but he didn't." A crease forms in her dark brown skin between her brows. "Now we're just hoping we'll stumble upon it."