The Lies That Bind (Chapter 24)

Start from the beginning

Ari takes a seat at the kitchen island and I place my butt in the cold seat across from him waiting for him to explain why he intruded my quiet time.

"Can we just hangout today?" He blurts.

"Hangout? I thought you came over here for a reason."

"Can't that be reason enough? You know, because I miss you? It's been so long since we've hung out."

My eyes narrow, "Yeah and whose fault is that?"

I couldn't help myself. The statement that was lying in wait at the back of my throat just sped its way to the front and blurted its way out. I could see the hurt in Ari's brief expression, but my brain refused to be sympathetic for him choosing to shut me out from his life.

"It was my fault. I know. I truly am sorry for that Nova. I would be just as upset with you if you did something similar to me. I want to make up for our time lost though. I consider you one of my most cherished friends. I don't want us to be apart for so long ever again. I definitely need you in my life and shouldn't have left you behind like an unwanted, cold and wilted, old fry."

Why did he compare me to a limp fry? He knew that would put me out of my mood and cause me to smile. Damn you boy, I'm not ready to be out of my bad mood. I wanted to continue to sulk, but I couldn't help chuckle at the simile.

"Shut up. I'm not a limp noodle fry," I cross my arms to rest them on the counter top and laugh.

"I know," he smiles, "You're my hot and crispy fresh out the deep fryer goodness, fry."

He makes the both of us laugh and I couldn't help but leave my spot to walk around the island so I could hug him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and rested my head in the crook of his shoulder. I closed my eyes and allowed his familiar scent to flow into my nostrils and fill my soul to warm my body. He in return swallowed up my waist with his large in comparison arms. We held each other tightly like we never wanted to let the either go again.

"So, what did you have planned for today?" He asked me when we finally parted and I sat back down.

"Meh, not much really. What about you? You got any suggestions for us?"

Ari looks off in the distance like the kitchen specific art on the walls will provide him with an answer.

"You got any snacks? We could watch movies and just talk. Catch up. I want us to get to know one another again. And it would probably benefit us to do that, so my family doesn't suspect anything."

"Sure, I guess. Sounds like a plan. We could cook dinner together too. Spaghetti maybe? Let's run to the store really quick and grab snacks and stuff for dinner and we can come back here and find a movie."

"Ok! Let's go!"

The instant mood change in him made me smile and excited for our day together.