To that Castle in the Clouds

My sister and I sat on mom's lap, crying into her black dress.

"I know you're sad angels, I know. I am too." Mom whispered as she stroked my head.

"Poor Grammie... D-did it hurt her?" Estella asked through tears. 

Mom smiled softly, "No. No it didn't hurt her. She was taken in her sleep."

"Who took her? Can't they give her back?" My eyes widened in hope.

"I'm afraid not, darling. The enchantress took her so she could see grandpa. You girls remember that story?" Mom asked.

I nodded, but Ella asked her to tell it again.

Mom handed each of us a tissue before beginning.

"Long ago, there was a beautiful enchantress who lived in the sky. One day, she saw an old woman walking along the road below. The woman fell down and hurt herself badly, and the enchantress, being as kind as she was, wanted to help. So she cast a spell on herself, one that would take away pain. The enchantress then knelt down by the woman and lightly kissed her forehead, turning her own lips black.
The woman's heart was suddenly very light, for all pain and sorrow had left her body because of the spell. The old woman was so thankful, she asked if there was anything she could do for the enchantress. And the enchantress replied, 'I am all alone, and would very much like it if you would come live with me.' The woman agreed, and they both walked up a stone path that lead to a big castle high in the clouds. And there both of them lived together, having feelings of only happiness."

"So, that's who took Grammie? The enchantress took her to live in the clouds?" I asked quietly.

"That's right honey. And trust me, she is very happy there." Mom slid her thumb across my cheek. "I promise."

"I guess you're really happy up there too, huh mom? You and Gram are probably really happy in that castle." I sat on my floor with the shoe box in my lap. "I bet it's nice not feeling any pain; only being happy. I bet I'd be happy up there too. I...I want to be happy too." I stared down at the box, and a small smile slowly formed on my lips.

"I'll see you soon, mom."

I let the box slip off my lap as I stood up and walked towards my bathroom. I stepped inside, and with one last soft smile, I pressed my hand against the wood, and shut the door.