16 - SEEING DOUBLE

They say your life flashes before your eyes before you're going to die. For Teresa Holmes, this is true. As she laid back on her elbows against the wooden planks of the Storybrooke docks, starring up at Edmond with wide eyes and a pulsing headache, blood oozing from numerous wounds and heart rate accelerating, she saw it all. Every precious moment of her life, from the first memory with her mother to the last. She saw Robin Hood and Marion, and when Roland took his first steps toward her as a toddler. Her life before Storybrooke with Snow White, Ruby and Granny, and the moment that arrow struck her shoulder and brought her to meet Emma Swan and Killian Jones. Then came the memories after; the ones in Storybrooke. Meeting little Neal, forgiving Regina, seeing her mother again, meeting her cousins, going to Arendelle. The rush of memories all stopped when her mind settled on one person; Henry Mills. She saw his smile, heard his laughter, could feel his hand in her own, his warm lips on her cold ones.

I love you, Henry.

Teresa slapped her eyelids shut as waited for the inevitable strike of Edmond's blade ─ but it never happened. Instead, there was a sound of metal meeting metal just above her head.

Her eyes snapped open, cerulean-blue staring wide at the clashing of two swords. One of which belonged to Edmond while the other, much to her surprise, belonged to Regina Mills herself. The first thought to run through the teenager's mind was how did Regina got here so fast, but she didn't have the time to voice it aloud when Regina suddenly shoved Edmond back and glanced toward her.

"Henry, get Teresa and run!" Regina shouted before lunging toward Edmond.

It was then, as quick footsteps approached her, Teresa realized that Henry was also here.

She looked up just he reached her and their eyes connected for the longest second and then his brown eyes dropped at the sight of her blood. He was quick to snap into action and rush behind her, grasping beneath her arms and hauling her to her feet. Too overwhelmed with her near death experience to move, Teresa collapsed into his chest. Henry wrapped his arm around her waist and helped her walk, setting her down atop a crate and leaning her back against a boating house. She watched as he examined her body for injuries. He took her arm, and after finding the cut not as deep as she thought upon first glance, Henry glanced back up at her face, frowning while cupping her chin in between his fingers and using the sleeve of his jacket to brush away the blood.

"Teresa, can you hear me?" His voice flooded through her shocked state. She blinked and gave an answer.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine. But my magic..."

"What about your magic?" Henry asked.

Teresa's eyes met his.

Before she could respond, a grunt from Regina captured their attention. They both turned their heads, watching as the former Evil Queen stumbled backwards in her sword duel, worry seeping into their veins. Teresa's never seen her use a sword before, the woman always preferring magic over sparring. And both of them seemed to think just that ─ why wasn't she using her magic? But then Teresa remembered how her own magic stopped working during the fight, which nearly led to her death. Did this mean that Edmond could somehow repel their magic? Or had some strange phenomenon taken the magic she was born with? Would it ever return? She had so many unanswered questions, and yet, no one to answer them.

Regina gritted her teeth and shoved against Edmond's sword with her own. They both stumbled, struggling to knock the other off balance. "Listen, I know the Evil Queen has your heart, but you can fight this."

Mustering enough strength, Edmond grasped her wrist and shoved her sword away from his. He took a step back, observing her every move, waiting for her to strike first.