24 - CINDERELLA'S SNEAKER

Golden rays of sunlight filtered in through the curtains of the manor, enveloping everything and everyone in a sweet, comforting warmth. While the days before when Teresa Holmes was dead, her cold body laying motionless in the morgue, it seemed the weather had changed with their moods and became just as grim as they all felt. Today, however, there wasn't an ugly cloud in sight, proving that it was going to be a beautiful day.

Zelena Mills smiled at her daughter, who was on the opposite counter and comfortably seated in her bouncer chair while the woman made French toast with the help of her sister. The pair were working on throwing together a nice breakfast as they waited for the rest of the house to wake up, placing a platter of French toast on the table and making freshly squeezed orange juice and sizzling bacon cooked to a perfect crisp. Everything smelled so good that the wafting aromas of syrup and bacon ventured toward the living room, piercing the nostrils of those still swept away in their dreams and lulling Teresa Holmes awake.

As her eyelids fluttered open, her brows furrowed as she stared at the unfamiliar ceiling above her head. But as she recalled the events of yesterday, Teresa smiled, realizing that she must have had fallen asleep on Regina's couch. She glanced across the room, finding Alice curled up on the other couch, sound asleep and snoring softly. Teresa sat up and combed her fingers through her platinum hair, before reaching for the hair band wrapped around her wrist. She threw her hair into a ponytail with a yawn before moving to get off the couch, only to pause midway. A smile stretched across her face as she spotted Henry Mills spread out on the floor near her. The thought of him staying by her side all night on the uncomfortable floor warmed her heart. Not wanting to wake either of them up, she crawled to the other end of the couch and quietly escaped the living room. When she entered the kitchen, the two sisters greeted her with smiling faces.

"Good morning," they said in unison.

"Morning," Teresa yawned.

"After the days you've had, we thought you'd be asleep much longer," Zelena commented while Regina grabbed a plate from the cupboard and offered it to the sleepy teenager.

"What are you talking about? This is late for me." Teresa pulled out a chair and sat down, taking the plate Regina offered her and piling food onto it. "I'm pretty sure my brain is hard-wired to wake up at the crack of dawn every morning now. It's what I did back home. Early risers get the best hunts, after all."

Regina chuckled softly, but couldn't help but feel a little saddened by her words. She remembered Robin saying something like that once, and it made her heart ache for him. It must've been their motto back in the Enchanted Forest. "I take it you slept well, then?"

"Like a baby."

"Good," the former Evil Queen smiled. "You deserve the rest. Your body has been through a lot recently and it would be wise to take it easy for a little while."

Teresa frowned, her mouth full with a bite of bacon. "I'm okay, really. You guys don't have to coddle me."

"Regardless, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to be remain cautious," argued Regina.

The teenager bit down on her lip. She had a feeling everyone was going to secure her inside a bubble and never allow her to anything on her own ever again. "Yeah, I know," she mumbled through a mouthful of french toast, causing Regina to smile at how hungry she was. The food on her plate was nearly gone, but that was to be expected. After all, she had been dead. Regina can only imagine how hungry Alice must be.

"Besides," Teresa continued after a moment, "I doubt Henry or Snow will ever leave my side now. I'll be lucky to pee alone these days."

Regina nodded, raising her coffee to her lips. "Probably not wrong."